Life > Experiences

Relatable Things About Living with Male Roommates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Having only recently moved out for the first time, I was excited to explore what it would be like to live in student housing. When I discovered that a handful of my guy friends were looking for a potential roommate, I knew that I would make the perfect addition! Now, at almost a month in, I’ve adjusted to living with the opposite sex – but there were a couple of bumps along the way, of course!

1. The Mad Dash

Nothing tests your endurance like running out of the bathroom every morning after your shower. Here’s hoping I don’t slip and fall!

2. Eating Habits

Perhaps I missed the memo in health class where the teacher mentioned that men can eat triple the amount a woman can? We could feed a small village with the amount of food my male roommates make in one day. Worst part, there’s never any leftovers! Truly, they’re bottomless pits.

3. Video Games

Nothing screams “I live with boys” more than hearing them yell at midnight over an intense game of Mortal Combat.

4. Getting Comfortable

Before you know it, hanging around in the living room in your leopard print pyjamas with no makeup on will become the norm.

5. Things Can Get Loud

Their loud voices from the common area will be both the first and last thing you hear in a day, I can assure you of that.

6. Height Advantage

Sometimes, you need some assistance getting something from the top shelf! It’s not my fault the tall people in the house decided to put all the spices on the highest shelf we have.

7. Advice

Whether it’s about relationships, school or just whatever, you can always count on them to give you clear, straight-forward advice.

8. Low-key Protective

Once your roomies essentially become your brothers from another mother, you notice how they get protective over you. They want to know details of everything, stat — who, what, when, where, why and how.

Jovanka, better known as Joja, is a fourth-year History & Medieval/Medievalism Studies Student at Wilfrid Laurier University. Her passions include both Canadian & Balkan politics/history, education, and extra-curricular activities on campus. She is also an avid Medievalist and most likely will spend too much of your time talking about it. Despite standing at solid five-foot-two inches tall, she's actually pretty easy to spot! Most likely you will find her in the library, or socializing with fellow classmates on campus!