Fall 2021 Pink and Purple 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Fall 2021 Pink and Purple 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Taylor Swift via Spotify

Relatable Taylor Swift Lyrics When You’re in Your Feels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Although everyone may not be a Taylor Swift fan, you can’t deny that she is a lyrical genius. Her poetic and whimsical way of conveying thoughts and feelings into songs has led to some of the most beautiful and relatable lyrics. I have compiled a list of some of my favourite lines from Taylor Swift songs that I believe a lot of people can connect with.

“And my words shoot to kill when I’m mad/ I have a lot of regrets about that.” – “this is me trying” from folklore

I’m sure we can all relate to saying things we don’t mean in the heat of a moment and later coming to realize we shouldn’t have said what we said. For me personally, I relate a lot to this lyric and know that when I get angry, I can stoop just as low as the person I’m arguing with. I’ve learned a lot and understand the importance of being the bigger person and not letting my anger get the best of me.

“Sometimes giving up is the strong thing/ Sometimes to run is the brave thing.” – “it’s time to go” from evermore

Growing up and realizing that not everything is going to work out how you want it to can be frightening. Putting in so much effort and time into projects, relationships or work and not getting anything in return isn’t easy. Sometimes giving up and walking away from things that don’t benefit us is necessary. It can be difficult to walk away into the unknown, but it’s better than staying locked in place even though staying may feel like the safer option.

“And I see the permanent damage you did to me/ Never again, I just wish I could forget when it was magic.”- “Better Man (Taylor’s Version)” from Red (Taylor’s Version)

Walking away from toxic relationships, whether romantic or platonic, isn’t easy. Sometimes no matter how much someone hurts you and you can recognize the pain they put you through, you still reminisce on when things were good. The memories you made together and the times where you genuinely felt happy are hard to forget and you keep wishing that they could be that person again- the one you loved. But they aren’t that person anymore and you can’t go back and undo all the pain they have inflicted on you.

“Something keeps me holding on to nothing.”- “Haunted” from Speak Now

Knowing that a relationship has ended and the love that used to be there is gone but still not being ready to move on is difficult. You keep reaching for something that no longer exists and don’t know how to leave it in the past.

“Ten months sober, I must admit/Just because you’re clean, don’t mean you don’t miss it.”- “Clean” from 1989

Here Taylor is comparing a relationship to an addiction. No matter how much time goes by, there are still pieces of you that may miss being in that relationship. It can be tempting to go back even though you can remember all the pain it caused you. I feel like many people can relate to this feeling, knowing something is bad for you but wanting it anyways and trying to stay away.

“All this time I was wasting hoping you would come around/ I’ve been giving out chances every time and all you do is let me down.”- “You’re Not Sorry (Taylor’s Version)” from Fearless (Taylor’s Version)

Wasting time on someone who continually doesn’t put any effort into you is a heartbreaking experience. It’s like you keep trying and waiting for them to treat you how you deserve to be treated, yet they don’t care enough to actually make a change. Constantly being let down by someone who is supposed to love you is something too many people have to go through.

Taylor Swift has a way with words and making people feel a certain way. This list could have gone on forever, but I cut it down to some of my personal favourites.

P.S. Remember to always listen to Taylor’s Version when it’s available!

Alexandra DiVincenzo

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Alexandra is one of the Events Executives for Her Campus this year and hopes to create many events to bring the community closer together! She originally joined Her Campus as a writer and moved towards the event team in her second year with the club. She is a fourth-year Psychology student at Wilfrid Laurier University and is completing her undergraduate thesis this year. She hopes to continue her studies in graduate school in the area of Clinical Psychology. Alex is also a Research Assistant at Laurier and volunteers with the National Initiative for Eating Disorders (NIED) in her spare time. In her spare time, you can find her cozying up with a book, spending time with her family, or watching TV with her friends.