Reasons Why Elizabeth Swann is a Feminist Icon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

We all have those fictional females who empower us and inspire us to be better people. For many of us, that’s someone like Hermione Granger or Katniss Everdeen. And I totally agree — but today, I want to convince you that you need more Elizabeth Swann in your life. She’s underrepresented, and everything I want to be as an empowered young woman. 

She calls out ridiculous beauty standards.

Even in the Golden Age of Piracy women were set to ridiculous expectations of beauty. Breathing is more important than fashion any day. 

She takes control. 

Even in the beginning when she’s trying to be the perfect daughter, she still has a personality and attempts to fight beyond her limitations, no matter how well it works. 

She’s ridiculously brave. 

Thrown into a situation she can’t dream to have control of, she fights for her autonomy and her status in this new world. 

And she won’t just sit around while the men fight their battles. 

She’s just as capable and she’s not going to let them put her in a corner because of her gender.

She’s not afraid to go where she’s told she shouldn’t. 

She’s a badass boss who does what she wants to achieve her own goals. She doesn’t care about any old wive’s tale that says a woman on a ship is cursed. 

Sure, she’s a bit manipulative.

That just shows she has depth and she’s not a Mary-Sue. We all have our faults, and there’s nothing wrong with that!

She really believes in the best in people, though.

No matter how many times she’s double-crossed or blindsided, she has a positive outlook on the nature of humanity.

But she’s also not afraid to question authority. 

On more than one occasion, she stands up for what she believes in against someone (or something) of a higher power. That’s something we can all learn from.

She’s educated. 

She knows the Pirate Code before she first encounters pirates, and she’s often found reading before life gets crazy. She can also use her mind to get her through tough situations.

She’s a literal King. 

Not a Princess that needs saving. Not a Queen on a high thrown. A King. And she rules like the boss she is.

And gives a killer speech. 

The pirates all wanted to run away before her speech. I’d fight too if she wanted me to, tbh. 

But most importantly, she has her own goals that she sticks to, no matter what. 

Her motivation, courage, and determination make her someone we should all admire, whether we’re training for the Olympics or aiming to finish an essay. She won’t give up on what she believes in. 

What more could we ask for in a role model?

I just want to be Elizabeth Swann when I grow up. 

Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.