This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

One of the few taboos left in our day and age is the idea of period sex. It’s not a huge taboo. At the very least, I never thought it was, but understandably, it is not for everyone. Some people don’t like the idea of being vulnerable during that time of the month, and other people get grossed out by the idea of blood. These reasons are understandable. I’m not here to shame anyone; however, I do recommend trying to look past these. Having your period is completely natural and there is nothing to be ashamed of. However, unlearning years of being told that it is something shameful will take time, so don’t feel bad if you’re not comfortable with the idea just yet.

Having period sex has been linked to many benefits, such as reduced cramps. Women often get hornier on their period and having sex can be extra fun during that time of the month if you are comfortable. You don’t have to do everything, and you should always make sure your partner is comfortable if you’re doing something out of their comfort zone. If they’re willing to go for it, lay down a towel, lay out some ground rules and go to town. Everyone is going to have different levels of what they are comfortable with when it comes to having period sex. Make sure to have a conversation to ensure everyone is on the same page and having fun. Some people are down to do it all and others may be more comfortable with penetration only. Whatever the case may be, make sure you know your boundaries and work within those.

One thing I would like to address is the idea of ‘period sex’ being sex received only on the male’s end in a heterosexual relationship. I have heard from some guys that they would be down to receive oral sex when a woman is on her period but would never do anything past that because they are grossed out by their partner’s period. Girl, if you hear this, you should run. It’s one thing if you offer because it’s something that you want to do, but the idea or rather expectation of women not receiving pleasure on their period when it’s perfectly fine for a man to is so narrow-minded. If you’re offering and it is something you want to do go for it, however don’t do it because you feel pressured to. You do not need to keep your man sexually satisfied at his beck and call. You are not going to lose him if you’re not in the mood or if this idea doesn’t sit right with you. If you don’t feel comfortable and he is willing, I would like to stress that that is also okay. I merely want to point out the flaws and childish mindset some men will attempt to push onto you. If he is okay with getting pleasure, or if he pushes for it because he expects it while you are mensurating, I would  consider having a conversation.

If the only thing holding you back is the stigma around period sex, I would suggest trying to look past that. It’s not for everyone, but if you’re not having it simply because the idea of a period grosses you out, you should probably check your maturity level. There is nothing shameful about having your period and opening your mind allows for one more week a month that you can have sex! Who wouldn’t want that?

Adrianna Pater

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Adrianna - 4th year Film and Management student at Wilfrid Laurier University. You will probably find me at the library. Instagram @AddiePater