rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Overcoming Anxiety to Get the Best University Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Wilfrid Laurier University, like many other universities, has an amazing amount of volunteer opportunities to get involved in. In fact, WLU is extremely well known for this; “Wilfrid Laurier University has the highest proportion of students and alumni with volunteer experience compared to other universities worldwide, according to LinkedIn.” 

These can be some pretty intimidating statistics, especially being a first year coming to WLU who is nervous to get involved, or even if you are in your upper years and haven’t found the right opportunity yet. The important thing to remember is that it’s never too late! Orientation week is amazing and you get to see so many different ways you can become involved in your school.  WLU’s clubs and associations have something for almost every single interest out there. Whether it be dance, Rubik’s Cubes, gaming, anthropology, you name it, it most likely exists. These clubs, associations, and organizations usually make it pretty easy to get involved, but it can be intimidating at first, especially if you’re a young woman looking to become successful, but have anxieties about this. It is a common feeling and problem that many young women have.  

Whether you are an introvert or an extrovert, it is still possible for someone to suffer from social anxiety. Personally, I do. However, it does not mean that you cannot be a successful young woman; it does not mean you cannot get involved. I regret not getting involved in my first year and that is something that I cannot get back. That being said, I knew that I wanted to get involved, make new friends, and experience new opportunities. I did not get involved in WLU student publications until my second year. From that point on, I went from being a general volunteer to a manager for two years in a row, and now I am a department head within the organization. This was not easy to push myself into doing, but the benefits definitely outweigh the risks and the negatives, contrary to what I may have believed. I have met some of my best friends from this organization as well as experienced incredible moments within other clubs I have been involved in. Ultimately, being involved has changed my career path. This has only made me want to get more involved in other great opportunities, like Her Campus, which I am writing for now.  

Many anxieties that some people find they have when it comes to volunteering is the joining process. It’s one thing to fill out the application form, but another to go to the meetings and become a volunteer. Usually, you have never been to this place before or do not know who you are looking for; this is all nerve-wracking. Breathe, take a moment, and remind yourself that you are more than capable of doing this position; otherwise you would not already be on your way to this meeting. Also, remember that most coordinators are more than willing to help, because they want to supply the best volunteer experience for you.  

Another common anxiety that new volunteers face is that, once they are hired, they will be put into a position where they feel they have not received enough training. It is extremely important to voice these concerns to a coordinator or even a peer within the club or organization because most people are always willing to help.  

Reaching out for help and words of encouragement can do so much more than you may think. I would not be where I am today if it were not for my friends and family, as well as the great coordinators I have had in the past listening to my struggles and pushing me to do my best. You came to Laurier to be a successful young woman. Although you may feel like there are things holding you back, I encourage you to take these opportunities at this amazing school to help you get there!

Meghan Roach

Wilfrid Laurier

Meghan is the President and Publisher of Wilfrid Laurier University Student Publications looking to broaden her horizons in the world of media here at Her Campus. As a recent grad, she believes she has had a good deal of experience she can share with the young women of Laurier in this time where we are all trying to learn the art of 'adulting'. She can always be found with a coffee in her hand and looking up pictures of cats and sloths.  
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem