This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I can tell you from experience that first dates can be awkward, especially when entering the dating scene for the first time or getting back out there after ending a long-term relationship. It is perfectly normal to feel nervous but being prepared can help alleviate some of those nerves! Here are some conversation starters to ensure your first date goes as smoothly as possible.

Hobbies and Interests

Talking about something you know a lot about or have a strong interest in will ensure the conversation flows naturally. Consider what you may already know about your date and draw on similarities between each other. Ask about their hobbies and interests, do you have anything in common? If this is a blind date, you may consider talking about what made them interested in this type of interaction, or who put you two in contact with each other. Do you have a mutual friend? How do you know that friend?

Quarantine

Talk about their quarantine experience over the last seven months. Have their perspectives or goals changed given the extenuating circumstances? What were they doing to stay sane and motivated? Have they been more inclined to tour the city or pick up new hobbies such as hiking, tie-dying or cooking? This is a great opportunity to share what you have been up to, and maybe there is an activity you are both interested in that could be considered for a second date proposal.

Goals and Aspirations

Asking about someone’s goals and aspirations in life can be an accurate gauge of their morals and personality. It is also very flattering to show this type of interest in your dates’ lifestyle. You may base your inquiry on their three, five- or ten-year plan, their dream job or even what they hope to check off their bucket list. Maybe you can check off something together.

What Are Your Intentions?

Gauge for the right opportunity to ask what their intentions for this relationship may be. Consider what you are looking for with this person: are you hoping to keep things casual or to make things insta official? It is important to communicate your intentions early on and establish a mutual agreement to avoid disappointment or a situationship.

Go with the Flow

Don’t be afraid to let the conversation flow naturally! If you start chatting about their pet fish, just go with it! Try to avoid limiting the conversation to what you have practiced in your head. It is easier to build off points you are already chatting about than to start a new topic of conversation.

Most importantly, be open and be you! Your level of comfort directly correlates with your ability to enjoy yourself. If all else fails, you can always talk about the weather.

Lauren Mastroianni

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Fourth-year Communications and Global Studies student writing about my experiences and what's trending.