This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

After going through a breakup, my friends suggested that I join a spin class. My immediate thought was absolutely not! It took a bit of convincing for me to finally consider it. SPINCO actually visited the Laurier campus a while back, giving students one free pass plus a free guest pass to one spin class. My friend offered me the guest pass and after debating it for a while, I finally thought why not? And signed up. Let me tell you, that was the best decision I made this year. This year has been a rollercoaster, and it was time for me to feel confident in myself again. Here are the reasons why you need to join SPINCO in 2023.

The Vibes 

I’ve only ever been to the location here in Waterloo, and the vibes are immaculate. The aesthetic is so minimalist and bright. It’s not like your local gym that looks run down and dirty. Everything is themed black and white including gender-neutral bathrooms/change rooms with different amenities (i.e., shower, bathroom and towels, etc.). It’s especially amazing when it’s dark and the illuminated halo and overhead lights are dimmed. This plus the blaring music makes you feel like you’re at a club. I was kind of worried about other people judging me at SPINCO, but this was not the case at all. When I walked in on my first day, the staff were so sweet, greeting me and addressing me by my name and giving me a welcome note on my bike. 

A Healthy Alternative to the Gym 

Okay, so if you’re anything like me, then you don’t like going to the gym or you don’t go at all. I feel super self-conscious when I’m at the gym and I also have no idea what I’m doing. Then I’m too embarrassed to ask for help and it becomes a whole other thing. SPINCO is great because an instructor has a whole 50-minute workout planned for you. It’s brainless, fun and motivational! 

Instructors 

On that note, the instructors clearly love what they do. I mean they’ve got to motivate the whole group for 50 minutes, all that while cycling and screaming into the microphone! I honestly don’t know how they have the strength to do all of that simultaneously. Obviously, each instructor has their own distinct style and music taste, so you really get a flavour of their individual personalities.  

Music/Themed Classes 

This leads me to my next point of discussion: the music and themed classes. This is all part of the fun! You have the ability to select a class that interests you. Typically, you do the same workout for each class, but the music is different every time. There have been some fun-themed classes I’ve already taken, such as “90s Hits,” “Drake x Justin Bieber” and “Kygo x Illenium.” Some upcoming classes I signed up for include “Jack Harlow x Dua Lipa” and “Ariana Grande + Mac Miller.” Each of these classes definitely lives up to the hype and my expectations. The schedules are released week by week, so looking at the schedule for the week ahead is always something to look forward to.  

Website & Navigation 

On top of all the perks listed above, there is a website and app available that is super easy to navigate. I downloaded the app on my phone so that everything is at my fingertips. The app allows me to book my bike easily and view my scheduled classes.  

Memberships/Locations 

If you’ve made it this far and I haven’t convinced you to join yet, well, this is my final shot. This is unsponsored by the way, I’m just all for female empowerment! There are several memberships to choose from in three different categories.

Class Cards: 

• One (1) Class Card—Waterloo: $22.00/per class 
  • Five (5) Class Card—Waterloo: $100.00 ($20.00/per class) 
  • Ten (10) Class Card—Waterloo: $180.00 ($18.00/per class) 

Memberships: 

• Four (4) Classes/month—Waterloo: $70.00 
  • Eight (8) Classes/month—Waterloo: $135.00 
  • Twelve (12) Classes/month—Waterloo: $175.00 
  • Unlimited Classes/month—Waterloo: $180.00 
  • Two-Week Unlimited Classes/month—Waterloo: $100.00 
  • Two-Week Unlimited Classes/month—Waterloo: $50.00 (New Rider Special) 

Spin It Forward- Fridays @ 5:30 p.m. 

• One (1) Class – Spin-It-Forward – Waterloo: $10.00 

These prices vary depending on the location. There might also be a student discount available. I would suggest calling your nearest location for any other questions. If you don’t have a SPINCO located near you, I would still recommend joining a spin class. However, I’m sure there are many Spin classes available near you since it’s such a hot and trendy activity right now. Gift cards are also available to purchase (*hint: a Christmas gift idea*). Maybe even consider this for the new year! The choice is yours. I promise you will enjoy the benefits of a stronger body, mind and soul, all while getting lost in the music.

Sabrina DeCosta

Wilfrid Laurier '22

Sabrina is a fourth-year student at Wilfrid Laurier University. When she is not writing, Sabrina is cuddling with her Labradoodle, sketching or obsessing over Gilmore Girls! Sabrina also loves travelling and spending time with her friends and family.