My Favorite Songs on Taylor Swift’s Red (Taylor’s Version), that Will Break Your Heart and Then Put You Back Together

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

On Friday, November 12th, 2021, Taylor Swift re-released her popular heartbreak album, Red (Taylor’s Version). The initial release of the album, Red, in 2012 left her fandom in awe of the lyrical masterpiece that was this album. After the infamous conflict between Scooter Braun and Swift, she re-released her version of the album to gain the masters of the new rerelease and to allow her fans to listen to the one she owns all the rights to.

Red (Taylor’s Version) ended up becoming the highest streamed release by a female artist in one day, and the only female to surpass 100 million streams in one day. The album featured 30 tracks, 10 of which were previously not included on the 2012 re-release. Today I’m going to break down the album song by song for you.

Let’s start with my favorite songs that will break your heart.

“All Too Well (Taylor’s Version)” and “All Too Well (10-minute version) (Taylor’s Version)”:

First, we have “All too Well (Taylor’s Version)” and of course the “All too Well (10-Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version)”. Upon the release of the first All Too Well on the Red 2012 album, fans have been obsessed and theorized about who the song could be about. Somewhere along the way, Taylor mentioned that she had written a ten-minute version of the song. Fans begged for her to release it, so she dug it up and released it on Red (Taylor’s Version). Now fans have it on repeat and there is no doubt who it is about (he who shall not be named) after she released her own short film about the song, starring Dylan O’Brien, Sadie Sinkand and Taylor herself. This song is about love in the harshest and most toxic way. It is about a love that was short-lived but left a mark, as Swift says in her song “Did the love affair maim you too?”

“Come Back…Be Here (Taylor’s Version)”:

I love this song! I was there when she performed it live for the very first time! This song is about a long-distance relationship and the longing for one another from across the world. It is a song about wishing she followed that special person rather than staying behind. It’s emotional, mature and underrated. The charming nature of this song is why it is one of my favorites.

“Ronan (Taylor’s Version)”:

“Ronan” is a song that is one of her most personal and selfless. She wrote about Ronan Thompson, a little boy who passed away in 2011 from Neuroblastoma, a form of childhood cancer. After the boy had passed, Swift invited Ronan’s mother to her concert and told her that she had written a song for him. Swift asked permission if she could perform the song on national television, where the song was first heard by Swift’s fans in a very personal performance.

“Babe (Taylor’s Version)”:

It wouldn’t be a heartbreak album without a song about cheating. As Swift sings in the song, “You broke the sweetest promise that you ever should have made” and “This is the last time I’ll ever call you babe.” This song is about all the things a cheater needs to hear, and really, it’s a song calling out someone who wronged you in a relationship and saying that “you know what they messed up, and I deserve better.” This is a song that was originally released by Sugarland and featured Taylor Swift on the song. I loved that version because it was awesome to see her collaborate with a duo she hadn’t before. After that song’s success fans really wanted to hear her version, which is just as magical!

“The Moment I Knew (Taylor’s Version)”:

This song is often underrated, but a staple in the album. This is a song about knowing that the person you are with is not the one. When he who shall not be named didn’t make it to her birthday party and everyone else does, including all his friends… that’s the moment she knew it’s over and that she had to let him go.

Now let’s talk about my favorite songs that will put you back together after those broke you.

“Begin Again (Taylor’s Version)”:

Nothing like new beginnings and a romantic song about starting over with someone who sees you for who you are and loves you right. This song is the ultimate Parisian chic, love song that anyone who longs for the perfect simple type of love can enjoy. This song is about all the little things that the person you’re with does to show that they love you. It’s the honeymoon phase of a new relationship in an exciting and charming tune.

“Forever Winter (Taylor’s Version)”:

“Forever Winter” is one of the songs that I can’t believe Swift didn’t release on the original 2012 version but thank goodness it’s here. The song gives me the same vibes as “Back to December”, from Speak Now, except she sings about a relationship in which one didn’t know how to help support the other. Swift expresses one of their love for the other, saying “I’ll be summer sun for you forever, forever winter if you go.”

“Red (Taylor’s Version)”:

“Red” is the type of song that is filled with genius lyrics and magic melodies. It’s about after a relationship has ended and you are able to reflect on all the different parts the good, the bad, the ugly and all the memories. After being in a relationship with Joe Alwyn for several years now, Swift mentions that love is in fact not burning red as she sings in this tune, it is golden.

“Holy Ground (Taylor’s Version)”:

This fast-paced song is fun and yet romantic at the same time. It is quite literally reminiscent of when a relationship was new and fun but remains in her past. Just because the relationship ended doesn’t mean it wasn’t a special and significant relationship. This song is very different and unique compared to some of her other works, but the re-recording is just as magical if not even more.

“I Bet You Think About Me ft. Chris Stapleton (Taylor’s Version)”:

This song is from the perspective of someone whose ex is with someone new. This anthem is about knowing that someone still thinks about the relationship between her and that the love they were searching for was right in front of them. The song was accompanied by a music video which was directed by Swift’s good friend, Blake Lively and starred Miles and Keleigh Teller. This song is a total jam and it’s one that I can’t believe wasn’t included in the original.

Finally, my favorite songs to dance to on the Red (Taylor’s Version)!

“Stay, Stay, Stay (Taylor’s Version)”:

This is about a healthy and fun lighthearted relationship. The song celebrates finding the one for you and the person who makes you happiest. This song is a major transition into pop for Swift, resulting in this bubbly and fun song. Swifties anticipated the “It’s so fun” at the end to be different and it did not disappoint!

“Message In A Bottle (Taylor’s Version)”:

One of the songs that were not released on the 2012 version of Red was this. The electric pop song is about a crush and not being able to attain the person you want. She confesses her feelings for someone, hoping they hear her subtle messages to the person who is just out of reach. This is a great song to sing in the shower or with the top down on a summer day!

“Starlight (Taylor’s Version)”:

This song is one of the songs that make you feel like your life is a movie. This is one for you to roll the windows down and jam to in the car with your best friends! It’s about two star-crossed lovers who sneak into and crash a party. This is in fact, a marvelous tune!

“The Very First Night (Taylor’s Version)”:

This is “Come Back…Be Here” 2.0. It is the perfect fun song to reminisce on someone you miss, but it’s bittersweet in the best way. You still have a love for that person but know that the both of you are in a different chapter of life, hoping to collide again. It’s a love letter saying, I miss you, but it’s better this way.

“Girl At Home (Taylor’s Version)”:

This song is a bop, to say the least. It’s about someone who goes after Swift, but the person is in a relationship. Taylor revamped this song from the 2012 deluxe album which highlights someone being unfaithful to their partner with her. She says, “You got a girl at home, and everybody knows that”.  This would be the perfect song to blast in the car with your besties as well!

In total there were 30 songs released on Red (Taylor’s Version). It is expected to continue to break the charts and set streaming records in the coming weeks. Fans are now speculating that 1989 (Taylor’s Version) or Speak Now (Taylor’s Version) will be the next re-recordings to come based on the “easter eggs” that Taylor has left in her music videos, the All Too Well short film and other social media posts. I am excited to see what is to come next!

Kristyn Cole

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Kristyn is an outgoing and determined student who loves to take photos, listen to music, and hang out with friends. In her free time, she enjoys watching movies, and occasionally going shopping! Kris loves chocolate-covered strawberries and huskies. She joined Wilfrid Laurier's Her Campus in the Fall 2020 Semester to pursue her passion for writing.