The Most Annoying Behaviour on the GO Bus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Whether you take the Greyhound, GO bus, or VIA Rail train, there are certain things that fellow passengers do on your ride home that just grind your gears. Avoiding the following actions will spare you both dirty looks, and being deemed the scum of the earth. Many people around you have had a stressful week, and are usually sleep-deprived to some degree – some may even be hungover. Your bus ride home should be quiet and peaceful, a chance for you to take a brief nap or de-stress by listening to your favourite music (with your headphones!). Here are the 6 most irritating things a person can do on a long public transit ride to compromise your peace.

Phone calls that last longer than a few minutes

It’s perfectly reasonable to make a quick phone call to sort out your ride home from the bus station, or solidify your plans later that night, but the bus is not the place to have an hour and a half long phone call comprised of small talk. No one wants to hear one end of a conversation about your trip to the grocery store. If it’s not urgent, it can wait. Texting is perfect for passing-the-time small talk.

Speaking above a low volume

Maybe you and your best friend are on the bus together and it’s completely shocking that Kate made out with Tim at the bar last night, but you can still discuss it at a whisper or just above. What is exciting and interesting to you and your friends is probably not to the strangers around you.

Playing loud music

Oh no, you forgot your headphones. While this will ruin your commute home, don’t ruin everyone else’s by playing music from your phone’s speakers. This is not a club, and you are not a DJ. Bonus annoying points for singing or rapping along out loud.

Playing music in headphones at a volume that others can hear

While I respect you for using headphones, there is no point if I can make out every lyric of the song you’re listening to. Keep the volume so only you can hear it, or invest in decent headphones. Bonus annoying points for putting everyone through the same song 7 times.

Bringing an odour on the bus with you

Whether this come in the form of strong-smelling food or your own body odour, can you just not?

Asking to sit beside someone when there are plenty of vacant seats elsewhere

This is just “How Not to be a Creep 101”. Give people their space if you can.

Really, it all comes down to being considerate of others. Happy transit, everyone!

Erin's top two pastimes would definitely have to be binge-watching tv shows, and binge-eating spicy salmon maki rolls. While both may sound incredibly basic, they bring her ultimate happiness.
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem