Culture > Digital

Mindless TV Shows to Watch While Being Productive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Does anyone else have a terribly short attention span to the extent that you must always be watching something while you’re being productive? If so, here are some examples of mindless TV shows. The shows that I’ve chosen are shows that you could tune out and still understand what’s going on, but also shows that give some comfort while you’re completing tasks.

New Girl

This one might be a bit biased considering it’s my favourite show… however, it’s my favourite for a reason. Without a doubt, this show makes me laugh every time I watch it. It’s such a great comfort show and an even better mindless TV show to watch while cleaning, doing your makeup, doing your homework, etc. The show follows Jess, a girl who moves into an apartment with three other boys. The show follows each other’s days as they roam around the apartment and go on crazy adventures. Each character has such funny one-liners and I never find myself bored. It’s definitely a show that you could miss an episode or two and still be able to follow the story, which is good if you’re completing your task too well and forget to watch the show you put on.

Desperate Housewives

You’ve probably seen clips of this show on TikTok before. It’s a hilarious show that follows four friends who struggle to maintain their lives as housewives. After the loss of their mutual friend, they get together to determine who might’ve caused her death. They all live on the same street and share similar problems in their everyday life. This show is funny, relatable, and the perfect mindless TV show as it’s not to be taken too seriously.

One Tree Hill

This show is truly addictive and it’s extremely entertaining. This is the kind of show that you might stop what you’re doing for a minute because you’re just too invested in what’s happening. This show follows students at a high school who go through family troubles, relationship problems and especially friend drama. It’s relatable, funny and a great background show!

Succession

Succession is the perfect example of complex family relationships. This show has amazing clips and I love the way it’s filmed. The camera action makes me feel like I’m right there with the characters. However, I do find it’s a show that you don’t need to be too invested in to understand what’s going on, which is perfect for this case.

Gilmore Girls

A very popular, but amazing comfort show. I could watch Gilmore Girls over and over again. In fact, I have! This is the perfect background show for when you need something other than silence, but don’t feel like playing music. The banter between Rory and Lorelai will keep you intrigued, but will also help you stay invested in whatever it is you’re doing.

I would recommend all of these TV shows for when you’re trying to be productive, but also just want to watch a good show!

Kayla Banning

Wilfrid Laurier '27

Hi everyone!! My name is Kayla and I'm a first year studying communications at Wilfrid Laurier University. I'm originally from Hamilton which is about an hour away from Waterloo. I am apart of the writing team here at Her Campus WLU and am very grateful for the opportunity to write on a big platform. Through my communications major I have discovered that I love media and I love to write. At my high school I was a Prefect which means I helped students adjust to the change from elementary school into high school. I know it can be a difficult adjustment which is why I want to help other first years feel comfortable and welcome during their adjustment from high school into university. During my high school years I worked at a grocery store where I managed customer service and helped train new employees. In my free time, I enjoy reading, listening to music, watching movies, and hanging out with my dog when I'm at home. My favourite book would have to be the Secret History by Donna Tartt (if you haven't read it yet i highly recommend), another few favourites are Normal People, The Catcher in the Rye, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and the Shatter Me series. My all time favourite artist would have to be Lana Del Rey and a very close second are the Arctic Monkeys. As for movies I have a wide range of favourites including Dead Poets Society, Gone Girl, The Breakfast Club, Black Swan, Alice in Wonderland, Clueless, and Little Women. My doggy is 8 years old and is the most precious thing in my life. I love any kind of animal but dogs are probably my favourite. A lot of my humour stems from the show New Girl and if you see me I'll probably be drinking a Dr.Pepper. Anyways, thank you for reading Her Campus and I look forward to writing to you!