This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

This week, Her Campus WLU is introducing you to our executive team! Make sure to check out our hiring post and reach out if you have any questions! 

What’s your name and position?

Sarah McCann, Social Media Director

What are you studying?

Double major in communications and psychology

What’s the best part about being in your position on Her Campus WLU?

Being able to meet so many amazing girls, and having the ability to share empowering, relatable content through our social media, including some of the great articles written by our writers.

Have any fun facts?

I’m from Justin Bieber’s hometown. I did tap dancing for 11 years, six competitively. I hate Kanye West but can rap all of “Gold Digger”. I like pasta and ice cream (…separately) more than anyone should ever.

Any other commitments on campus?

I’ve been an Icebreaker for the past two years (green three years in a row)! I have also been a member of EcoHawks since second year and participate in the recreational dance program, my faves are burlesque and Latin!

If you won the lottery, what would you buy first?

I would definitely travel. I’d start with a beach resort, then after I get bored of relaxing would go to somewhere more adventurous!

Best Bath and Body Works scent?

My favourite candle for the holidays is Merry Cookie: it smells exactly like freshly baked cookies.

Any pets?

I have a golden retriever named Jack!

Any fun hobbies you have? 

Dance, photography, and singing loud enough to annoy my roommates.

What’s your perfect date? 

That’s a tough one… I’d have to say April 25th, because it’s not too hot, not too cold, all you need is a light jacket!

Movie you think everyone should see at least once?

Titanic. As a general rule I try to avoid sad movies, but this has to be my all time fave. I mean, 1997 Leo? It really doesn’t get much better than that.

Any advice you’d give your first year self?

Step out of your comfort zone! Find out about what is going on around campus, and get involved. I was lucky to live in an awesome residence community where my four roommates became my best friends, so I honestly had the best first year. I would just tell myself to apply to things and see what happens, go to a dance class, and don’t be so afraid of the gym! Lastly and importantly, you might not get A’s all the time. And that’s ok. Do your best, but ultimately you are here to learn!

Anything else about you that we should know?

My instagram handle is sarah_mccann73. The current song I have on repeat is anything from A Star is Born. I cry. My favourite brunch is Angels! It’s super close to my place, has fab food for super cheap, and is rarely ever busy. It’s my secret though so… don’t tell. The best thing about Laurier is just the entire energy and atmosphere. Everyone is friendly, outgoing, and loves to get involved. Laurier students are all so passionate about our school, and, as cliche as it sounds, at my first football game in O-Week when everyone started doing the Golden Hawk cheer, I felt so at home. As I’ve started to get more involved, the feeling of home has only gotten stronger!

Feel like you and Sarah would make a great team? Apply to join HCWLU’s social media volunteers here and get to know her even better!

Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.