Making the Most Out of Your University Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

When you got dropped off on an early September afternoon as a recent high school graduate, it may have felt daunting to think that this would be your home for the next 3-4 years; it felt like you’d be here forever. Everyone tells you it’ll go by fast, but you never believe how fast it actually does go by.  To maximize these precious years, consider the following tips!

Try Something New

Do something that you’ve been too scared to do before! Do karaoke with a friend at Chainsaw, or sign up for Open Mic night at Wilf’s sometime! If you want to be a little riskier, then get that piercing you’ve been putting off forever, book that hair appointment for a big chop, or get the balayage you’ve been dreaming about. This is a chapter in your life that differs from the one you just finished, and the one you will have next, so mix it up!

Go Out

Waterloo’s bar scene may seem limited, but it is a damn good time. There is at least one bar open every night of the week that is guaranteed to be full of people, music, and drinks. This is true even during midterm and finals season (got to love Golden Hawks). Unwind from your busy class schedule and study routine, and enjoy a night out in the company of friends with the ever-present chance to meet new people!

Stay In

The university life isn’t all about getting drunk at a bar every night. Everyone needs a chill night in every now and then that includes a pizza delivery and a good movie. It’s nights like these that you stay up talking about anything with good friends or roommates, which make staying in that much better.

Study During the Day

Procrastination is probably every university student’s biggest obstacle. While lounging around all day in between classes seems justifiable in the moment, you’ll be filled with regret when your roommates decide to go to Phil’s last minute, and you can’t because you have an assignment due the next day that you haven’t started. Or worse, you do go and you either hand in a half-hearted assignment because you write it an hour before class or you get late deductions for handing it in late. You don’t have to compromise one or the other if you make the most of your down time in the days!

Get InvolvedDon’t feel like you’re the only one who hasn’t clicked with anyone they’ve lived with or near. Also, make sure to not let that get in the way of you finding people that are similar to you. Join an intramural team, club, or committee around campus, and you’ll be giving back to the Laurier community and making friends all at once!

Stretch Your Dollars

Every dollar counts! Make use of student discounts, promo nights, and sales as much as you can! Getting a student discount on a $25 meal is basically a free drink at Phil’s. Racking up a bunch of credit card debt in addition to any student loans is unnecessary if you cut corners.

Live in the present, enjoy life as it happens, and have fun Golden Hawks!

Erin's top two pastimes would definitely have to be binge-watching tv shows, and binge-eating spicy salmon maki rolls. While both may sound incredibly basic, they bring her ultimate happiness.
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem