Life > Experiences

Love from Lockdown: How to Spread Happiness at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

These past few weeks have been an absolute whirlwind. Many of us went from living normal lives to seeing our socialization, events and education all cancelled in a matter of days. Although we are helping save lives by staying home during COVID-19, the isolation that many of us are experiencing can be downright depressing. So, what can we do about it? I believe that kindness is the answer.

Why kindness matters now

In times of solitude – particularly when the solitude is not our choice – many of us experience loneliness, poor mental health and an overall lack of enjoyment for life. As humans, we are hardwired for social connection, and we suffer without it. Kindness, however, is universal. Whether or not we are close to each other physically, there are always opportunities to be close to one another in our hearts. Let’s explore some ways to make this happen!

Social media is your best friend

Times like this are the very reason why social media was invented: a need for connection. Reach out to a friend or two online, particularly those who you haven’t heard from in a while, to check in and see how they are doing. Seeing a message pop up on their screen might be just what they need to put a smile on their face. This is especially important for more isolated or immunocompromised friends who need all the support they can get.

For widespread impact, consider making a positivity post. Asking your friends to comment something that made them smile lately, sharing an inspirational message or even posting a happy selfie with an uplifting caption can be enough to make a difference. Social media also gives you the wonderful opportunity to practice what you preach. Leave genuine compliments on your friends’ photos, comment something you’re grateful for on someone else’s gratitude post and take a moment to say something kind when you see someone spiraling into a negativity cycle. The smallest gestures often make the greatest impact.

Family love

For those of us who have gone home, we may suddenly be spending a lot more time with our families – or our housemate friends who feel like family – than we’re used to. This can be overwhelming at first, but what better time to share happiness with one another? Take the time to ask your siblings how their day has been and really listen to their answers. Bring out your mom’s favourite board game that you haven’t made time to play with her in years. Play with your pet for an extra ten minutes. Tidy up the house so that your family has a cleaner living space. This is the time to make the most of the people in your life and truly appreciate the opportunity to be close with the family around you.

Unexpected places

Without our usual ways of living life, we need to be creative in finding ways to be kind. If you have some extra change, making donations to organizations with a cause you support is a great way to spread kindness. Watch an online concert and donate the price of a ticket to support local artists. Donate to a food bank. Try a live-streamed yoga class and pay your usual class entry fee. If you have the means to, supporting small businesses who can’t make a living right now can make a huge difference to families in need.

For more cost-effective kindness options, this is the perfect time to see which of your friends’ birthdays is coming up and spend an afternoon hand-making them a gift. If you go out for a walk, smile at everyone you pass by (on the other side of the road, keep up that social distancing). If you’re looking for a challenge, check out thekindnessquest.com where they have a 28-day indoor kindness challenge for this isolation period. Creativity is your greatest ally for creating happiness!

Self-kindness matters

Don’t forget that you need happiness too! When our own mental health is poor, we don’t have the resources to help others. Treat yourself to a day of baking your favourite sweets, taking a bubble bath, reading a novel you love or binge-watching a series on Netflix. Take a walk outside to get some sunshine, fresh air and exercise. It is also important to remember that even though no one is seeing us, our hygiene matters from a mental health standpoint just as much. Take the time to get up and make your bed in the morning, put on some fresh clothes, shower, brush your teeth and make a healthy breakfast. Keeping to a morning routine makes everything in our day function a little more smoothly.

What the world needs

When the world is fraught with fear, confusion and disconnection, kindness is the glue that can hold our society together. Whether you try some of my ideas or come up with your own, every action makes a difference. In times such as these, I always look to what I believe bonds us as human beings: kindness, connection and love. Spread joy to everyone you can; it’s the good kind of contagious.

Sarah Katherine

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Sarah is a 4th year Music Education student at Laurier University. She is passionate about wellness, education, singing, and writing, and hopes to make a difference in the world through the integration of her passions.