neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Losing Your Tattoo Virginity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

A year and a half ago I had zero tattoos. Fast forward to the present and I now have nine tattoos and am about to get my tenth in a couple of days. I am at the point where getting a tattoo feels like no big deal to me because I have gone through the process so many times now. But I also know that for those who are thinking of getting their first tattoo it can all seem quite daunting. Some of my roommates recently decided that they want to get their first tattoos and are excited yet nervous about it because they haven’t gone through that experience before. So, just like I have given them some advice, I thought I’d share it with anyone else potentially planning on getting their first tattoo as well!

My first piece of advice for someone hoping to get a tattoo for the first time is to make sure that you think over your idea for a little bit to make sure that you are completely set on it. You probably shouldn’t book a tattoo appointment immediately without giving it some thought for a couple weeks or months. A lot of people worry about regretting the tattoo they get one day and the best way to combat this problem is to make sure you are 100% sure about it before you actually get it permanently inked onto your body. However, I also like to remind people that tattoo removals are very common nowadays and if something were to eventually change, there is always that option. Though you should try to avoid that, if possible, of course.I know that a lot of tattoo first-timers are very worried about the pain. I have found that it is not anywhere near as bad as you would expect, but it’s important to remember that everyone has a different pain tolerance so you may experience things differently. Another thing I have personally experienced that some people are surprised by is that, after a while, you honestly forget about your tattoos because you get so used to them being there. When planning a tattoo, the placement and size of it are also very important details to consider before you book an appointment. It is important to note that some tattoo artists are against tattooing certain body parts, such as fingers or the inside of the lip, due to various reasons such as personal preference or the likelihood of fading in certain areas. I would recommend using Pinterest, Instagram or even just Google to look at different pictures of tattoos that are similar to what you are looking to get. These pictures can also be very helpful as a reference for your artist to see what kind of design you are interested in.

Speaking of tattoo artists, it is always smart to do some research when it comes to what tattoo shop you are planning to go to and/or what artist you want. Make sure that the place has good reviews and if a shop recommends a specific artist, you should try and see samples of their work beforehand so that you can decide if you like their style/technique. Choosing your artist should mostly be based upon what kind of tattoo you want, whether it’s fine linework, small, using coloured ink, black-work, etc. because different artists specialize in different types of tattoo work. Once you get your tattoo it is important, especially in the first few days, weeks and months, to take really good care of it to make sure that it heals properly. The usual protocol is to start washing it every day when you first get it and to start using unscented lotions/gels to moisturize the tattoo once it starts peeling.

Overall, I think tattoos are a great way of expressing yourself and I am glad that perceptions towards tattoos have also changed so that they are no longer as stigmatized. If you plan properly, do your research and consider all the pros and cons that are applicable to your life in regards to a tattoo, you will likely have a great experience and will love your ink.

Ally Chesham

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Ally Chesham is a 4th year student at Wilfrid Laurier University. She is majoring in Political Science, minoring in Sociology, and working towards a Legal Studies option as well.
Sarah McCann

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sarah is a fourth year Communications and Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University who is passionate abut female empowerment. She is one of two Campus Correspondents for the Laurier Her Campus Chapter! Sarah loves dancing, animals, photography, ice cream, and singing super obnoxiously, in no particular order.