This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Female masturbation is a topic that is always hushed about. It is rare to hear this discussed in public, or even in a private setting with friends. Society has taught individuals that this is an inappropriate topic and therefore it can be frowned upon. This is an issue that needs to have more awareness; not only in terms of the topic, but also to stop the shaming that follows female masturbation. This is an act of self-love, so why is society so persistent to shame it?

Discussion of masturbation should be normalized so that those who open up about it don’t feel shunned. Individuals need to feel accepted when entering this form of conversation and not dismissed because we are taught that this is not an appropriate form of conversation. It is the societal standard that when a woman discusses sex, she shouldn’t enjoy it but a man can – this stigma needs to end.

The topic has begun to gain recognition in the social media realm. Many Instagram influencers have been discussing how it’s important to normalize this area of our lives. Certain influencers such as Mary Jelkovsky (@maryscupoftea) and Mik Zazon (@mikzazon) both speak out about the importance of normalizing female masturbation. They discuss that people should understand that it isn’t shameful to explore our bodies but liberating and freeing for all women to do. More well-known celebrities such as Miley Cyrus and Gwyneth Paltrow also support the notion on normalizing masturbation. They both promote female masturbation as a natural act of self-love.

The act of masturbation is quite common, although some people have never felt comfortable doing it due to the stigma that follows the term. However, being comfortable about masturbation allows an individual to feel comfortable with their body, as well as help them discover what they are into. This self-exploring can even improve their sexual relationships with partners.

It also offers many health benefits,  including stress relief and boosting the immune system. Many people choose to masturbate at night because it releases endorphins that relaxes the muscles and aids in falling asleep. The release of endorphins not only helps a person fall asleep but also helps to positively stimulate an individual’s  mood. For some, masturbation may even increase their libido. Overall, it offers many different physical benefits.

Female masturbation is important to discuss and raise awareness for. There has been a large stigma that hangs over the phrase ‘female masturbation’. The topic needs to be discussed more widely with the public, especially the fact that it is a natural human action. It isn’t a shameful act; it is useful and helpful for people. Masturbation offers many numerous benefits, and these are not anything that should be shamed or frowned upon. Let’s end the stigma revolving around female masturbation, normalize this discussion, as well as change the societal standards of being a woman.

References

Zoldan, R. (n.d.). 14 excellent reasons to MASTURBATE, besides the obvious. Retrieved March 18, 2021, from https://www.self.com/story/13-reasons-every-woman-should-masturbate-besides-the-obvious

Ashley Ethier

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Ashley is a third year double major in Sociology and English at Wilfrid Laurier University. In her spare time she enjoys reading, walking her dogs and enjoying the simpler things in life.