This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

As a university student, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and lost in the sea of resources available to you. When I started university, I was a lost little sheep. I don’t have older siblings and I didn’t have any older friends at the time. Now that I’m graduating in a few months, I feel it’s my responsibility to be the older sister here and provide some resources and support for my younger peers! With a little digging, you can find hidden gems that will not only make your university experience easier but more enjoyable as well. Here are some resources that I have found to be extremely helpful during my time at Wilfrid Laurier University.

Laurier Library (A Way to Watch Free Movies!)

First and foremost, the Laurier Library is a treasure trove of information. Not only can you find all the research material you need with the click of a button, but you can also access a wide range of movies through the library database. As a film major, this has been a lifesaver for me, and I’m sure it can be for students in other disciplines as well. All you need to do is go to the library website, click on the “Research” tab, scroll down to “Videos,” and select either ACF: Audio Ciné Films Inc. or Criterion-on-Demand to watch movies for class.

Click here for a direct link to the Laurier Library

The Wellness Centre

The Wellness Centre is another excellent resource available to all students. Whether you need help with your mental health or physical well-being, the Wellness Centre has got you covered. You can book an appointment with a social worker to chat about any struggles you might be facing.

Click here for a direct link to the Wellness Centre

Dietician on Campus

Laurier University offers a variety of resources to its students, including access to a campus dietician through the wellness center. Whether you’re looking to schedule your time more efficiently or need help figuring out what to add to your grocery list, the dietician is available to offer guidance and support. Book an appointment today to start improving your overall health and well-being!

Click here for a direct link to the Dietician on Campus

Time Management and Study Skills Workshops

Time management and study skills are critical for academic success, and Laurier has a variety of resources available to help you improve in these areas. The university offers workshops and appointments with learning specialists, and they have downloadable handouts available that offer comprehensive information and advice on various academic skills. Whether you need help with active learning, exam preparation or oral presentations, Laurier has got you covered.

Click here for a direct link to Time Management and Study Skills Workshops

The ALC

Wilfrid Laurier University is committed to providing equal opportunities and accessible education to all students. The Accessible Learning Centre (ALC) is a resource on campus that offers support and accommodations to students with disabilities. Whether you need extra time for exams, note-taking support or accessible textbooks, the ALC is there to help. They aim to create a comfortable and inclusive learning environment that allows all students to succeed. Contact the ALC to learn more about the services they offer and how they can support you on your academic journey.

Click here for a direct link to the ALC

Writing Centre

Another resource that has been incredibly helpful to me is the Writing Centre. They offer one-on-one appointments with writing specialists who can help you with everything from brainstorming and organization to sentence structure and grammar. Whether you are struggling with a specific assignment or need general writing assistance, the Writing Centre is an excellent resource.

Click here for a direct link to the Writing Centre

Career Centre

Finally, the Career Centre is an essential resource for anyone looking to jumpstart their career. They offer career development workshops, resume and cover letter reviews and job search strategies. Whether you are in your first year of university or your last, the Career Centre is a great resource to check out to help you prepare for your future.

Click here for a direct link to the Career Centre

In conclusion, Wilfrid Laurier University offers a vast array of resources that can help students succeed academically and personally. By taking advantage of these resources, you can not only make your university experience easier but also more fulfilling. So go ahead, explore the resources available to you and make the most of your time at Wilfrid Laurier University!

(P.S. If you have any other questions about Laurier or just need an older sister to help you, please don’t hesitate to message me! DM @sabrinadecosta on Instagram)

Sabrina DeCosta

Wilfrid Laurier '22

Sabrina is a fourth-year student at Wilfrid Laurier University. When she is not writing, Sabrina is cuddling with her Labradoodle, sketching or obsessing over Gilmore Girls! Sabrina also loves travelling and spending time with her friends and family.