jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Importance of Living in the Present

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

“Life is about being present.”

Slowly but surely, I am learning the importance of living in the present moment and the simplicity of doing so. I chose to write this piece as I have always been a planner. The idea of securing my future (or at least attempting to) means always being two steps ahead of where I currently am. 

Unfortunately, what I failed to realize was that with all the years I spent trying to stay “on the ball,” I was actually missing out on something much more important — the present moment. 

As humans, we spend a great deal of time with our minds on autopilot. We are always searching for more meaning, for more answers and for more ways to make sense of what the future has in store for us. I write this as a way of hopefully inspiring others to be more mindful in their own lives, as life is much too short to constantly project ourselves into the future. 

I have recently begun to learn the sole value of focusing on the present day. Let me be clear that, although it is somewhat important to reach ahead and dream about the future, it is equally as easy to rob ourselves of today’s joy by grasping at tomorrow’s worries. 

Thus, what life is really about is the moment of now. It is about appreciating where you are today and recognizing what is going on around you. It is about slowing down, feeling, celebrating and being.

Instead of always looking at what you’re doing next and busying your mind with activity after activity — stop. Focus on what you can control right this second. Focus on the joy, the emotion and the happiness of where you are — not where you could be.

Given that, the last few years of my life have taught me that it is beneficial to be frightened by the idea that all things must come to an end. That is not to encourage a negative mindset, but to push each and every one of us to fall in love with the little moments while we still have them. 

No matter the time, place or circumstance, the importance of living in the present is that there are few things within our lives that last forever. Thus, we must relish every moment, bad or good. We must remember this: nothing concrete remains forever, except for the memories that we make within these moments. These are what stick with us. Becoming aware of the current moment is the only way to do so. 

Although I am nowhere near perfect at staying focused on the present moment, I have become increasingly more aware of the importance of doing so — and have made mindfulness a routine concept in my everyday life. As I slowly learn to focus on and live in the present, I have found that little moments are the most important. 

I have come to the realization that a life worth living is one that is enjoyed, cherished and treasured every day. 

The moment is now, as the present is the only time that is real. 

“Your life requires your mindful presence in order to live it. Be here now.” ― Akiroq Brost

Gina-Marie Rubinia

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Currently studying General Arts at Laurier. I have always enjoyed writing as a past time and think it is the best way for anyone to express their inner creativity. Avid romantic movie watcher (I'm talking recite the lines to every Nicholas Sparks film, obsessed). If I could move to any fictional location it would be Tree Hill, North Carolina (also an OTH fanatic). I'm a firm believer that every person needs to experience The Office (at least) once in their lifetime. Oh and I am most definitely a dog over cats type of person.
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.