Wellness > Sex + Relationships

I Might Be an Unintentional Cradle Robber…. But It’s Not My Fault

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

When no one gets ID’d, I still do. 

Guessing my age is hilarious because it’s always at least three years off. 

I once went to my brother’s high school for his registration, and they thought I was registering too.

My friends are typically quick to point out that I don’t look my age. We have inside jokes, and I’m sure there are some I don’t even know about.

It’s recurring, and I get it. I don’t look my age. I am 22 and look seventeen to some people. I’m not very tall, so I physically don’t fit the bill of a fully-grown adult. I’m under no false pretences here – I appear a lot younger than I actually am. This has translated to more than missed age guesses, being ID’d under every circumstance, and missing out on some of the big kid rides.

It never fails that I head to the bar for a night out and the kid who finally had success with his fake ID finds me. There have been many instances where I’ve been mid-conversation with a guy, am totally into it, and then he drops his age, whether on purpose or by accidental hint, which leaves me disappearing into the crowd as fast as possible.

I’ve even gotten to the point where I will tell a younger guy my age, prove it with my ID, and he doesn’t seem to mind. Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with an age gap, but the younger you are, the bigger that age gap seems, and the more effect it may have on a relationship.

I don’t even remember ever being hit on by a guy who is older than me, and it’s certainly infrequent to be hit on by a guy my own age. I’ve accepted this, as there is nothing I can do to appear older because even wearing makeup doesn’t seem to help. However, I’d like to clear my name, as I don’t intend to be a cougar, I just am. 

On the bright side, as long as I age this slowly, hopefully when I’m fifty I’ll look thirty. It could be worse right……right?

Jenna Weishar

Wilfrid Laurier

Fourth year, 20-something year old Psychology and Sociology Major at Wifrid Laurier University. Sorority Girl. Lover of Grey's Anatomy, the Bachelor/Bachelorette, and Sex and the City. Relies heavily on caffeine to get through the day, and wine at night. Follow me on Instagram: @jennaweishar and Twitter: @jennaweishar