roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Love You: A Tribute to Coffee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

My morning routine consists of two cups of coffee; one for when I get up and start to get ready, and another with breakfast or on the way to school or work. There’s something about waking up (mentally anyways) to the smell of it brewing, and easing into your day with a strong cup of your favourite brew. While some have never tasted a drop in their lives, and others have tasted it once and never again indulged, I rely on a heavy two to three, and sometimes four cups a day. What can I say? It’s hard to stay awake and focused during three-hour lectures. Okay, any lectures. Here’s to coffee, and the many reasons why it’s always a good idea to grab another cup.

The options are endless

Whether you’re contemplating the cup size, brew, or flavour, there is always something new to try, or a reliable classic to keep you going. My go-to is either blonde or dark roast, and always black. The great thing is, for people who don’t like the taste of coffee on its own, adding milk, cream, sweetener, and sugar makes it more enjoyable. The decision’s up to you!

The morning becomes so much more bearable

Once you’ve had your first cup of the morning, it seems just a little easier to put one foot in front of the other. It’s like you can feel it running through your veins, and suddenly, you have the strength to get up and prepare to conquer the day.

…..especially Monday Mornings

Don’t look at me, don’t talk to me, don’t even think about my existence until I’ve had a big cup of coffee. Not only is it early, but it’s Monday.

And don’t even get me started on late night study sessions

Struggling to finish those twenty-page essays before 11:59, and all-nighter study sessions teaching yourself twelve weeks of lectures is nothing new to many university students. What’s sitting there by your side while you conquer your education, nothing less than a dark cup of delight, helping you to stay awake.

Espresso? Latte? Cappuccino? Macchiato?

You don’t always have to settle for your average cup of joe. Frothing milk, syrup, and only the barista knows what else went into that cup is a great way to spice it up, and still get your caffeine fix.

Pick a flavour, any flavour.

If you’re feeling nutty, sweet, or in need of a chocolate fix, hazelnut, vanilla, and mocha have your back. If you’re feeling adventurous, there are all kinds of different flavours to try.

Iced or Hot…you decide!

No wonder many people make coffee part of their daily routine. When it’s cold out, you can drink it hot, and when it’s hot out, you can drink it cold. How’s that for versatile?

It’s here to help you with annoying people

Whether it’s a family member, roommate, classmate or friend, the stupid things they do and say are much more tolerable once you’ve had a cup or two of your favourite brew.

It’s time to give coffee the credit it deserves; thank you for making my Monday mornings slightly less Monday-ey, people less annoying, and sleepless nights a little more bearable.

Jenna Weishar

Wilfrid Laurier

Fourth year, 20-something year old Psychology and Sociology Major at Wifrid Laurier University. Sorority Girl. Lover of Grey's Anatomy, the Bachelor/Bachelorette, and Sex and the City. Relies heavily on caffeine to get through the day, and wine at night. Follow me on Instagram: @jennaweishar and Twitter: @jennaweishar
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.