This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

If you’re a student like me, then you likely don’t have a lot of time to cook or a lot of money to spend on expensive ingredients. I’ve turned to a primarily vegetarian diet when it comes to making my own food, which I find to be cheap, easy and much better for the environment. Here are some of my favourite healthy vegetarian recipes to nourish the body and the soul. Please note that the types and proportions of my ingredients are to my own liking and for one person, so feel free to change them up as you wish!

Quesadillas

This is my most recent culinary experiment, and I’m quite happy with the outcome! Beware though, if you feel your tortillas aren’t sturdy enough to hold together, go ahead and cut down on the ingredients.

Ingredients:

• 2 large tortillas
  • 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
  • 1/4 cup of canned beans of choice, rinsed and dried
  • 1/4 cup of chopped onions
  • 1/4 cup of chopped pepper
  • A handful of grated (or sliced) cheese of choice

Directions:

• Place one of your tortillas on a plate and spread the tomato sauce evenly.
  • Add the beans, onions, peppers and cheese.
  • Put the second tortilla on top and press down firmly.
  • Pop the quesadilla into the microwave for one to two minutes.
  • Cut into quarters, and you’re done!
  • Serve with salsa and/or sour cream if desired.

Korean Egg Rice

I’m absolutely in love with this dish – it’s become my new comfort food on a cold day. Over the past few months that I’ve been making it, I’ve made some modifications to the traditional meal to suit my own preferences.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup cooked rice of choice
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup of chopped green onions
  • 1 packed cup of chopped spinach
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
  • Soy sauce to taste
  • Gochujang to taste if desired (spicy Korean paste)

Directions:

• Cook your rice according to the instructions on the bag (I always make extra for leftovers!).
  • Put a small pan onto medium-low heat and add half a teaspoon of sesame oil.
  • Crack two eggs into the pan and fry until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny.
  • Serve your rice in a bowl and place the eggs on top.
  • In the same pan, add another half teaspoon of sesame oil and sauté the spinach until wilted.
  • To the bowl, add spinach, remaining sesame oil, chopped green onions, soy sauce and gochujang to taste.
  • Mix and enjoy!

Tikka Masala Pizza

A healthy and delicious pizza! Who would’ve thought?

Ingredients:

• 1 piece of naan
  • 1/2 cup of tikka masala sauce
  • 1/2 cup of chopped spinach
  • 1/2 cup of thinly chopped butternut squash (I use thawed frozen squash)
  • 1/4 cup of canned chickpeas, rinsed and dried
  • Large pinch of salt
  • Dash of cumin
  • Dash of black pepper

Directions:

• Preheat your oven to 350°F.
  • Spread the tikka masala sauce on the naan.
  • Sprinkle the spinach, squash and chickpeas on top.
  • Add your salt and a bit of cumin.
  • Place the pizza on a baking tray and pop it in the oven for fifteen minutes.
  • When it’s out, crack a bit of black pepper on top.
  • Cut into quarters and enjoy!

With these new recipes in mind, I hope you can work towards taking good care of your time and your body (I apologize that this kind of self-care suggests eating spinach). Go find inspiration in the kitchen and embrace your inner Master Chef!

Natasha Shantz

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Hi! My name is Natasha and I'm a writer for Her Campus Laurier. Writing had been a home for me since I was in elementary school, typing up fantasy and fairytale novels. I like to write about a broad variety of topics, such as self-improvement, social issues, literature and pop culture. When I'm not writing or studying, you can find me dancing to music in my room, sipping coffee in a cafe, or reading a book.