woman drinking at blue sports bottle outdoors 1325711jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
woman drinking at blue sports bottle outdoors 1325711jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Pexels
Wellness

How to Trick Yourself into Drinking More Water

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Two litres of water daily seems like a lot to take down. If you’re anything like me, getting that recommended amount in every day seemed nearly impossible, but I realized that drinking water didn’t have to be as boring as filling up a huge jug in the morning and forcing myself to finish it by the end of the day. Although having a big jug with time stamps on it is a great way to keep track of your water intake, I personally found it more like a chore than something I enjoyed doing. And if you can find a way to enjoy it, why wouldn’t you? So, if you’re anything like I was and find it hard to drink enough water throughout the day, here are some ways that you can trick yourself into drinking more.

Get a Water Bottle that You Like

This may seem super simple, but a lot of the time, it’s overlooked. Drinking out of the same standard clear glass cup every day can get a little boring. Make sure to get a cute water bottle or tumbler that you like because it’ll encourage you to drink more. When you actually like your bottle, you’ll be more inclined to drink from it because you’ll be grabbing for it more often. And this is a perfect excuse to get another cute accessory to sit on your desk while doing your work.

Drink Carbonated Water

Not everyone likes carbonated water. I’ve had friends ask me how I enjoy drinking TV static. But, if you haven’t thought of it, carbonated water is a great way to bring variety into your water-drinking routine. I also find that it is a lot more thirst-quenching than still water. Plus, there are tons of different flavours of carbonated water. Take Bubly, for example, it’s all-natural (which means zero grams of sugar) and still tastes amazing!

Infuse Your Water

If you’re not a huge fan of the carbonated water suggestion but still want some flavour added to your water, adding chopped-up fruits to your water is a great thing to try. You still get all the benefits of drinking water plus some added nutrients from the fruit, so it’s a win-win situation! Some of my favourite combinations are watermelon, kiwi and lime or grapefruit, pomegranate and mint. An added bonus is that once you finish your drink, you have some snacks leftover!

Drink Herbal Teas

Another one of my favourite options is drinking tea. Just like the infused water, you still get all the benefits of drinking water and the added benefits, this time from the herbs in the tea. You can also add some honey to make it a bit sweeter. My very favourite part about drinking tea, especially during the warmer months, is having it iced. A great option is making a pitcher of tea (my favourite is peach) then adding some honey and lemon and leaving it in the fridge for a few hours to cool down. Then, once it’s cooled down, add some ice and you have homemade iced tea! It tastes so good that it’s hard to believe that it’s a great substitute for water.

Hopefully, you found some water-drinking options that are appealing to you. I suggest trying a variety of the options above in order to spice it up so that you won’t get bored of drinking the same thing over and over again. I promise it’ll start to feel less like a chore and more like a want!

Tamara Jefak

Wilfrid Laurier '22

Tamara is in her third year at Wilfrid Laurier University and is pursuing a double major in English and Communication Studies. Alongside writing, she enjoys traveling, sparkling water, and dancing in the kitchen while cooking with her roommates.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!