This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It’s a typical Saturday night in university and as you’re scrolling through your Instagram feed, you see that your friends went to a party while you had to stay in and finish your assignment. Immediately upset, you switch apps to Snapchat, where you see a photo with your other friend on a cute date with her boyfriend. You suddenly feel your self-esteem plummeting and start comparing yourself to others, thinking you’re missing out and that there are so many better things you could be doing at the moment.

The fear of missing out, more commonly known as FOMO, is something that many university students feel on a weekly basis. Exacerbated by social media sites, FOMO is an increasingly problematic phenomenon that negatively affects many students’ mental health and stress levels. With the COVID-19 pandemic still resulting in many students not having any in-person classes or activities, FOMO is hitting that much harder, resulting in many students feeling sad and anxious that they’re missing out on college life experiences.

Whether it be that you’re a student living at home comparing yourself to those living on campus, or you find yourself always feeling that you should be out somewhere doing something more exciting, here are some tips for managing FOMO as a college or university student.

RANK YOUR OPTIONS FOR THE NIGHT AND FORGET ABOUT YOUR OPPORTUNITY COST

Opportunity cost is likely one of the first things you will learn about in an introductory economics class. What does economics and opportunity cost have to do with managing FOMO you ask? Well, opportunity cost is the value of the next best option you have given up. Many times, you may feel FOMO from picking one decision over another. However, if you rank your options, you should feel confident that your first option is the best, stick with it and forgot about what would happen if you picked the other options. For example, let’s say you have two options tonight: go to a party or study for your upcoming test. If you decide that studying should be your first priority, then this should help ease some of the FOMO you feel from not going to the party. You can’t be in two places at once, so by ranking your options, you can feel confident knowing you picked the best place for you to be.

LIMIT TIME ON SOCIAL MEDIA

As you have probably heard many times- comparison is the thief of joy. When you go on social media, you will see other students and friends your age posting the highlights of their night, resulting in your fears of missing out worsening. Remember, no one is posting the boring or sad moments in their life, they’re only posting the best times. Don’t let social media deceive you. Pay attention to how you feel after checking social media. If you find going on social media causes you to feel unhappy, sad or have negative thoughts, it is best to take breaks from the apps and unfollow any people who aren’t bringing you happiness. You can also set reminders within certain apps like Instagram, that send notifications to remind you that you have spent over a certain amount of time on the app.

DEVELOP A BALANCE BETWEEN YOUR ACADEMIC AND SOCIAL LIFE

One of the most challenging parts of university is balancing your studies and your social life. You may find yourself having to try many different methods to see what works for you. One of the best things you can do for yourself is to get the syllabi for your classes and write down all the due dates in your calendar so you can gauge when your busiest weeks will be throughout the semester. If you find you are having a hard time managing your time, consider booking an appointment with the study skills and course support professionals at your university. When it comes to your social life, try carving out one day a week that you dedicate to doing something fun, whether that be going to dinner with your friends, visiting the farmers’ market or doing a group exercise class.

TAKE INITIATIVE TO REFOCUS YOUR ENERGY AND BE GRATEFUL  

Consider keeping a gratitude journal where you write things you are grateful for every day. Refocus your energy on the positive things in your life and write about things you are grateful for like your family, friends and pets. Instead of checking your phone first thing in the morning, consider going for a walk, listening to uplifting music, making your favourite tea or doing a home workout on YouTube.

By ranking your options, limiting your time on social media, learning to balance your academic and social life and taking the initiative to refocus your energy and be grateful, hopefully, your feelings of FOMO can be minimized. Although FOMO is something that you may feel from time to time in university and throughout life in general, it’s important to remember that your feelings are valid and that many other students are feeling this way.

Julie Hanna

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Julie is a fourth-year business administration student at Wilfrid Laurier University. She is also pursuing a minor in environmental studies. She joined Wilfrid Laurier's Her Campus in the Fall of 2021 to pursue her childhood dream of becoming an author. When she is not writing, you can find her working out, playing the piano, spending time with friends and family, and trying out coffee shops.