This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Typically, when a new semester starts people tend to be super organized, excited to see their friends and ready for a new adventure. Going into my third year, this was not the case. I started the year by moving into a new apartment for the third time, taking on a part-time job, having a full course load and transitioning into in-person classes. For a person who does not like sudden change, I got overwhelmed instantly. I felt as though I was drowning in coursework and had no free time. However, instead of wallowing and worrying about my life, I decided I wanted to change my routine and mindset to get myself back on track. It might be cheesy to say, but in order to actually change your life, you need to act upon it. From past years of experience being a burnt-out student, I think I give decent advice to people who are going through the same situation.

Have a good support system

This year I was thankful enough to go into the fall semester with a very good support system. Being a university student is stressful; with harsh deadlines and many late nights working on assignments. Being away from home is a big adjustment for many people (including me) and can be challenging for your mental health. Laurier has given me the opportunity to meet so many people, and I’m glad to call some of them my second family. Additionally, this year I was thankful enough to live with a very great group of women; we all have different interests, we are in different programs and we always know we have each other’s backs.

Keep yourself organized

When juggling a full course load, it can be hectic at times. Keeping a calendar in your room, on your laptop and phone will help you remember upcoming assignments, events and appointments. I’ve even started making a to-do list every day that helps the work seem more attainable and I get a sense of accomplishment every time I check something off. I found that it’s really important to stay on top of things, not only because assignments come up fast, but because life moves quickly (Take it from me, I feel like I was in my first year just yesterday).

Make your room your safe place

With life quickly moving by, it’s important to take breaks in a space that you are comfortable with. Every year I find that my room acts as an escape. By designing my room with calm neutral colours and photos of friends and family that bring me joy, spending time in my own space helps me wind down after a long stressful day.

These are just a few of the tips that have helped me along my university journey thus far. The start of school is always stressful, but it is very important to know that you are not alone, and many people are going through the same thing. Times might get stressful, but just know that you’ve come so far already. You cannot give up! 

Madeline Holcomb

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Maddie is one of the Co-Presidents of Her Campus for the Laurier chapter. She oversees all of the club executives and general members to ensure the effectiveness of all organizational functions. She also plans to develop and enhance the longterm success of Her Campus at WLU. She joined Her Campus in 2021 as a general member to pursue her passion for writing and has loved being apart of the club ever since. Beyond Her Campus, Maddie is currently in her 4th and final year of undergrad, studying Sociology and Women’s Studies with a cooperative education option. After graduation she aspires to become a social worker, and is in the process of applying to masters programs right now. Additionally, Maddie is the Director of Marketing in another club on the Laurier campus called WLPA, Women Leading Politics Association. In her free time, Maddie enjoys finding new music, going to spin classes, and going on hikes with her dog Ollie! She’s a big fan of early 2000’s sitcoms and is determined to make the world a better place.