How to Beat the End of Semester Fatigue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

As the end of the semester continues to approach (whether we are prepared or not), one thing is certain – as deadlines near, self-care is likely to go right out the window in favour of cramming until 3 am. 

I admit I have been there before and do everything I can to ensure I do not get there again (whether it works or not is another story). However, there are some techniques you can use to ensure that your mind (and body) stays sharp for the upcoming finals and exam season. 

First, find out when you do your best work. As classes end, it is likely you will not have to be on campus as much. Based on this, it is useful to reassess what time you are most productive. Do you do your best work in the morning? Go to bed early to wake up extra early and get all of your daily tasks done by lunchtime. Work best at 3 am? Sleep in the afternoon and wake up late to work. Everyone is productive at different times of the day and being aware of yours will ensure that you are making the most of your studying time while also having enough time to rest. 

Do you forget to take breaks when studying and burn yourself out? Consider setting a timer and setting “blocked” study sessions where you take a 10–15-minute break after a 30-minute work session. This will help you keep your focus and motivate you to actually work during your study session rather than have the impulse to look at your phone more than you get work done (I may be speaking from experience). Humans are only equipped to focus for short periods of time, so make sure that you are using those short-focus periods effectively to see your productivity go up. 

You should also make sure that you are remembering to eat both healthy and filling meals and snacks. When I study, I find it easy to forget to eat and sometimes I look up from my paper two hours later starving. To rectify this, I make sure that I prepare my meals and snacks before I start my study session (sometimes on weekends). This makes sure that I am being mindful to eat and that when I get hungry, there is something easy on-hand for me to grab. Making sure to have healthy snacks is just as important as studying since your brain needs fuel to study in the first place. If you are nourishing your body, you will see your focus level and academic success increase. 

The most important thing to do during crunch season is to make sure you are taking care of yourself. Academics are important, but you need to take care of yourself properly in order to set yourself up for success. If you need an extension – ask for one. There is no shame in asking. Recovering from the pandemic has had a large impact on everyone and your first priority should be taking care of yourself. Good luck with the end of the semester, Golden Hawks. You can do it!

Bronte Behling

Wilfrid Laurier '23

A second year Cultural Studies and Film Studies double major student at Wilfrid Laurier University, Bronte has had a passion for creative writing since middle school where she took an online summer course about J.R.R Tolkien's the Silmarillion. A cat lover, Star Wars fan and podcast enthusiast she aims to gain more writing experience through this publication in order to pursue her post-degree goal of becoming a journalist.