This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

With the last week of classes behind us, final exam season is right around the corner. That said, these last few weeks can often make or break students. If you want to “survive” the stress of final assignments and upcoming exams, preparation over the next few weeks is essential. 

Here are a few tips I think are valuable (and help me to do well) when preparing for the busy weeks to come! 

Sleep, sleep, sleep! 

When finals come around it may seem like the only option is to pull all-nighters, but getting at least seven to eight hours of sleep every night is vital to your performance and ability to retain information! All-nighters are not good for anyone physically or mentally — so make sure that you work a good night’s sleep into your busy schedule as it is crucial to your success! 

This is especially important if you have an exam the following day — in order to be fully aware and recall important information, you have to give your body and brain some time to “shut off” beforehand. Put down the books and mix in some shut-eye — your body and mind will thank you in the morning!

Stay organized

I find that making a study schedule in a planner or calendar for each of my classes, based on priority, helps to ensure I stay on top of all the material that needs to be covered, without cramming the night before. Making the extra effort to schedule and dedicate time to more difficult or weight-heavy finals ensures that the “important” tasks have been tackled first.

Take breaks! 

Studying all day and night can get extremely tiring and can make you feel exceptionally overwhelmed. Try to refrain from constantly staying in your room or the library for the next few weeks — remember to take a break every so often. I find that rewarding myself with a small break after finishing a chapter or section of work helps me to stay motivated, and gives my brain and body a little break. A small Netflix break (one episode, not five) or a walk outside helps to bring you back to the real world when you’ve had your head in a textbook all day. 

Make a final exam review (for each class) 

Regarding actual study material, it can be worthwhile to create a final exam review before you tackle the studying. Some professors are thoughtful enough to provide them for their classes; however, if your professor does not, making your own is quite easy. 

I find it helpful to condense each chapter or section and combine reading notes with my lecture notes as well. Removing information from your notes that are simply “filler” and highlighting the important concepts from each chapter ensures studying is made easier. 

Quiz yourself or have others quiz you! 

Especially for exams that are very much multiple choice based, I find that quizzing myself or making flashcards is productive when I need to retain a lot of information. If you have loads of definitions, terms or basic concepts to recall, this can be helpful for you as well.  

One of the websites I use for studying on a regular basis is “Quizlet”. It is quite a popular platform for students that essentially lets you make your own flashcard decks, and provides various tools that help you study any material you choose. I personally use the “Learn” tool of the website, in which you can create a set of study material that you want to practice and master. It ensures you continue to review topics you often miss and helps you to become proficient in the concepts you have learnt. You can access the website here: https://quizlet.com/ 

Change up your study environment 

Sometimes studying in the same spot for too long can cause you to grow tired and bored of learning the material. Changing up where you study or who you study with can help with productivity. There a variety of study spots on campus such as the Solarium, the Science Building and the Concourse (if you don’t mind some noise). 

If you are more into studying off campus, cafes such as Settlement Co. and The Princess Cafe are two of my favourite spots when I need a change of scenery.
Remember to eat and hydrate! 

Exam season can often mean slacking big time in the self-care department; however, it is essential to fuel your body and stay hydrated! Make sure to eat throughout the day and drink water as well — caffeine can only keep you going for so long! 

Keep in mind the finish line is so very close! Good luck with studying! Make these exams yours! 

“Stay positive, work hard, and make it happen.”

Gina-Marie Rubinia

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Currently studying General Arts at Laurier. I have always enjoyed writing as a past time and think it is the best way for anyone to express their inner creativity. Avid romantic movie watcher (I'm talking recite the lines to every Nicholas Sparks film, obsessed). If I could move to any fictional location it would be Tree Hill, North Carolina (also an OTH fanatic). I'm a firm believer that every person needs to experience The Office (at least) once in their lifetime. Oh and I am most definitely a dog over cats type of person.
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.