This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Over quarantine, one of my impulsive decisions was to adopt a betta fish. I have had Rin (a half-moon betta) for over four months and am astounded at how much he has taught me about being a good pet owner and the complexities of being a ‘fish parent’.

If you are thinking about adopting a betta fish (or have one yourself), here are some things you should know about how to properly care for your betta.

Learn the Nitrogen Cycle

I know, this feels like middle school science class. However, if you want your betta to be happy and healthy, it is essential to know the nitrogen cycle and how it contributes to the life of a fish. Basically, if you do not let your tank cycle correctly, you will be sending your betta to an early grave. Do this step BEFORE you purchase your fish, so when you bring them home you can introduce them to a tank that is perfectly set up for their needs.

Buy the Correct Tank

For a betta to thrive, they MUST be in a tank that is 5+ gallons. Going into the pet store, you will be faced with many tanks that are below this and aren’t much cheaper. Despite their tiny size, betta fish need a tank this size to thrive. A one-gallon tank for a betta fish is the equivalent of being in a prison cell. Don’t do it.

Invest in Proper Tank Decorations

When buying decorations for your tank, choose soft silk fake plants (or even better, buy live ones). Never buy plastic plants, as your betta may accidentally cut themselves on the rough edges. Furthermore, a moss ball is a solid choice to add to your tank alongside live plants.

Buy a Tank Heater

Bettas are tropical fish, thus, their tank must be kept at approximately 26 degrees. To do this, invest in a tank heater that is the correct voltage/size for the size of your tank. Keep a thermometer around to test the water before introducing your betta to the tank. If the water is not the correct temperature, you will shock the fish.

Tankmates

Male betta fish can never be kept in the same tank. If you want a secondary male betta, either buy another tank or separate your tank if you can ensure that both fish will still have 5+ gallons to themselves. Some choose to buy female bettas, which can co-habitate in a ‘sorority’. However, if you wish to do this, please do additional research as it can be a complexity of its own.

I hope this (short) investigation into caring for a betta has inspired you to buy one for yourself and give them a happy life. However, if you wish to adopt, PLEASE do even more research and make sure you are prepared for how complex taking care of a fish can be.

After all, they are still a pet – you should treat your betta with just as much love and care as you do any of your other pets. They deserve a comfortable life as well!

Bronte Behling

Wilfrid Laurier '23

A second year Cultural Studies and Film Studies double major student at Wilfrid Laurier University, Bronte has had a passion for creative writing since middle school where she took an online summer course about J.R.R Tolkien's the Silmarillion. A cat lover, Star Wars fan and podcast enthusiast she aims to gain more writing experience through this publication in order to pursue her post-degree goal of becoming a journalist.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her