This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

There are countless movies and TV shows about college where every girl finds her dream clique during frosh week and is set for life with a group of besties. But let’s be real: making friends is tough, especially after first year. Once you’re a senior student and the get-to-know-you events, orientation activities and residence hallway chats have ended, it can feel downright impossible to make new friends. This becomes even trickier now that school is online, where even something as simple as a conversation in the hallway with someone new has become impossible. While it may not be as easy as in first year when everyone was searching to find their people, it is absolutely possible to make friends that will last a lifetime, even in your last year of school!

Get Involved

The number one way to make new friends is to expose yourself to new people by getting involved on or off campus. Joining a club that you’re interested in can instantly connect you with a group of people with who you have things in common, making it easy to start conversations and bond. If you have a hobby or skill that you love, see if there is a team for it at school. In my case, I got involved with a sorority in my senior year and was lucky enough to gain not only a bunch of new friends but a new second family of sisters! Whatever you are interested in, getting involved is a sure-fire way to meet new people who have things in common with you, setting the foundation for a friendship.

Be an Instigator

When you want something, it’s important to go after it! If you are looking to make new friends, put yourself out there and initiate time with people. Ask your classmates to go out for brunch or have a virtual coffee date. Start conversations with people in your life and try to get to know them better. Approach that one person at your workplace who you’ve always wanted to be closer to but haven’t known how. It can be scary to reach out, but it is so worth the risk. So many people are feeling lonely and isolated right now, especially with online classes, making them even more grateful when someone reaches out to them. Be that person!

Grow Yourself

To find common interests with others, you first need to know just what your interests are! If you’ve been trying to find new friends for a while, it might be a good time to take a pause and check back in with yourself. In the age of social media, it is all too easy to get lost in other people’s worlds and compare ourselves to others. Take the time to remember who you are, what you stand for and what you love, then find ways to bring more of those things into your life. By having a strong sense of who you are, you’ll be more likely to attract others who want the same things and who can support you in your goals. Being your own best friend will draw in people who are right for you while giving you a firm foundation on which to stand. Knowing yourself encourages healthy boundaries and discourages co-dependence, meaning your friendships have a much better chance of staying balanced and strong. 

Cherish Old Friends…Or Don’t!

We’ve all heard the saying, “make new friends but keep the old. One is silver and the other is gold.” In our attempts to make new friends, it’s important that we don’t neglect the friends who have been there for us from day one. Sometimes, the greatest friendships are the ones that last over time. If you have an old friendship that has lost its spark, try to reach out and put some extra effort into the relationship. It just might blossom and grow even stronger with a little love and care. At the same time, our university years are a time of enormous growth, and sometimes it’s natural for old friendships to grow apart. Evaluate your relationships, and see which ones no longer serve you. Letting go of toxic friendships or ones that just aren’t clicking anymore will give you the freedom to search for new friends that better fit the person you’ve become.

From giggling at the movies to crying on each other’s shoulders, friends make life more meaningful, and it is never too late to start making them. Finding people with common interests, reaching out and knowing yourself will give you the tools to start connections with new people that might just lead to forever friendships!

Sarah Katherine

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Sarah is a 4th year Music Education student at Laurier University. She is passionate about wellness, education, singing, and writing, and hopes to make a difference in the world through the integration of her passions.