How to Look Good and Still Make it to Class on Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

September is here and that means having to wake up for classes that are way too early. But September also means the ability to show off your new fall wardrobe and some great beauty trends. Yes, waking up early to get to class is the least appealing thought, but I try to think of it as another opportunity to look good! I find that there’s a direct correlation between looking good and feeling good. I definitely feel more ready to take on the world if I know my wings are sharp and my highlight is poppin’.

Here are my tips on how to slay your makeup this semester without losing sleep!

These first few steps aren’t cosmetic based, but are just as important for looking good as they set the foundation for your makeup.

1. Water

I know you’re probably tired of hearing this one, but it really is so

important so I had to include it! DRINK. MORE. WATER! I can’t stress this enough; your skin will thank you. By switching out most of your sugary drinks (I say most because I too am incapable of fully cutting them out. Anyone else addicted to OJ?) and making sure to stay hydrated, your skin and mind will clear right up!

2. Sleep

Get a good night’s sleep! I know, I know, another obvious one you’re tired of hearing, but also just as important! I’m not saying you should ditch ladies’ night to get a full 12 hours, but try to strive for 7-8 hours whenever possible, and you will truly be able to see why they call it beauty sleep.

3. Skincare Routine

Find a skincare routine that works for you! Whether you have dry, combination, or oily skin, there are products out there for you. The most important part is having good cleansers and a moisturizer, but I would also recommend looking into toners, exfoliants, serums, and masks. But cleansing and moisturizing above all! And if I can stress one thing, DO NOT SLEEP IN YOUR MAKEUP! I mean, unless you like acne and wrinkles. This sounds like a lot, but your skin will looove you if you take good care of it.

4. Plan Ahead!

Plan your outfit and hair the night before! I spend most of my time on makeup, so that by the time I’m done I usually just throw on some clothes, fluff my hair and run out the door. By setting out my clothing and washing my hair the night before, I have much more time to sleep in (and do my eyebrows).

5. Beat that Face!

Now that we’ve had a good night’s rest and clear skin, let’s move on to makeup! Since your skin is already looking great from all that sleep and water, there’s no need to slather it in foundation if we’re just heading to class, concealer will do the trick. I like to conceal my under eyes, along the top of my nose, chin, and middle of my forehead as a way of evening my skin tone and highlighting my face. Set that with a light powder and you’re good for the day!

6. Highlight/Blush

For the rest of the face, I suggest a pop of blush on the cheeks to bring some girlish rosiness into them, and then some highlight along the cheekbones and bridge of the nose.

7. Eyebrows

Next step, eyebrows. Depending on how high maintenance you are this could be make it or break it for how fast your morning routine goes, so I suggest you find something simple that works for you. On most days, I use a pomade to shape and slay my brows, but if you’re in a rush I’d suggest using a matching powder colour to just fill them in. Make sure to highlight the brow bone after to really make them pop!

8. Eyes

For the eyes, always start with a primer to make sure you have no creasing throughout the day. Then pop in a nice transition shade to your crease, and a light shimmer across the whole eyelid and along your waterline to brighten the eyes. Finish it all off with mascara. If you’re feeling particularly sassy that day, or have an extra few minutes, add a darker shade to your outer corner and winged liner. Fierce af.

There you have it! Slather on some lip balm/gloss/whatever lip trend your feeling at the moment and that’s it! You’re done! 15 minutes tops and you are ready to slay the day.

Madeleine Prentice

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeleine is a fourth-year double English and Medieval and Medievalism Studies major at Wilfrid Laurier. She spends the majority of her time rambling about makeup, memes, and medievalism. On an average night, you can find her snuggled up with her cats watching Netflix and browsing the latest trends on social media. 
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.