Wellness > Mental Health

How I’m Trying to Avoid Seasonal Depression this Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

This time last year, my life was a combination of so many complicated emotions and situations that were difficult to live with. This was associated to the depression that is associated with Canadian winters. I never want to live through that again and I wouldn’t wish it on anybody, so I’ve come up with a few things that are hopefully going to help us get through winter this year.

The late sunrises and early sunsets create very little self-motivation for me on top of the already freezing days, but I am trying to take in how beautiful it all is. Right now, we’re still mid-autumn which means the leaves are falling and their colours are the best reds, oranges and yellows. I’m really trying to appreciate it while it lasts and romanticize the Gilmore Girls fall aesthetic. When it does snow though, I’ll be romanticizing it too! Like Lorelai on the first snowfall of the season, get outside in nature and at least embrace the views that we’ll get with the snow-covered trees.

Alongside romanticizing nature is prioritizing movement, which for me oftentimes happens by going on long walks outside. When I go on my walks, I always have a good playlist or album on, or sometimes even the latest episode of whichever podcast I am listening to. This always helps me escape my brain even if I’m by myself. If you don’t like walking alone, find a friend to go on walks with! This way you’re not only getting outside and getting active but surrounding yourself with people too, which always helps bring my mental health up.

I am midway through the current fall semester where I’ve just finished up my last midterms and am already looking forward to the next exam period being over. Luckily for me, my classes and exams will be finished by December 10th, giving me plenty of time in December to rest and do the things I love the most! If you aren’t as lucky and have exams towards the end of the period, make sure you are still prioritizing your own self-care and mental health. Create a balance between studying, resting and spending time with friends.

A few additional things I would like to prioritize doing to focus on my own well-being are reading, crocheting, watching comfort shows and movies, taking up journaling, spending time with loved ones and trying some baking! All of which can be doable if you prioritize the right things and use your time to help your best self.

Take care this winter and remember romanticizing is truly the key!

Annabelle Ly

Wilfrid Laurier '27

I'm Annabelle and I am part of this years Writing team with Her Campus at Laurier! I have always had a passion for reading and writing and when finding out about this club, I instantly knew I wanted to join the team. Aside of HC, I am in school for Laurier's International Education Studies program with hopes of continuing down the path of teaching! In my free time, I enjoy listening to music – especially Taylor Swift, playing the piano or guitar, crocheting, and reading! Otherwise you could often find me watching Gilmore Girls or Criminal Minds.