This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I’m just going to say it… Daylight Savings Time is ass. I don’t know who invented it but they kind of suck. Personally, this is the time of year that no matter what, I always get a little bummed out. And, if you’re like me, feeling bummy is not one of the things on my to-do list. So…here are some of my tips for getting out of the funk that these shorter, colder days can bring on.

1. Get outside!!

For me, natural light is almost addictive. If I don’t get my fix of the sun for the day I feel super off!

Overcast day? Get your cute self out of the house and still soak it in, even just for a quick walk! With the nights getting longer I love to take advantage of the daylight for as long as I possibly can!

2. Cozy up with your roommates, friends, family, anybody!

One of the best parts about this time of year is that it brings the holiday season and with the holidays comes some pretty corny, pretty amazing movies! Spend some time with your lovely people, drink a festive beverage and enjoy!! (The W Network and Hallmark Channel have some of the most cliché movies ever but you’ll love every predictable moment, from start to finish!) 

3. Dress up!

Yes, I have worn the same hoodie multiple days in a row before. Sometimes it’s just so cold you don’t want to try. 
But trust me, putting on a cute outfit can instantly boost your mood! There’s just something about looking good that can also make you feel good.

4. Hit the gym!

One thing I love about the gym is no matter what, after a good sweat, I feel a bit better. Even if you go for 15 minutes, I promise you’ll feel good too! 

5. Change up your study spots

No offence to the library, but I cannot stand to be there for longer than I have to be. But great news, you have so many other options! Check out your area for coffee shops and cafes! Enjoy every seasonal drink the world has to offer all while studying in a much cozier environment!
6. Talk it out

With your friends, your family, even support at school. It’s okay to not be okay, just remember that and know that there are a lot of people here for you. Although the season does make things a little gloomier, you will definitely get through it, sunshine!

** You can call or email the Laurier Wellness Centre if you ever need someone to talk to. Check out their website as well for any extra information you might need.

Laurier Wellness Centre

email: wellness@wlu.ca 

phone: 519.884.0710 x3146 

Erin Dooley

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Erin is a WLU student majoring in Communication Studies and looking to earn her minor in Environmental Studies. She spends her time smiling at dogs on campus and writing whenever an idea sparks her interest.
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.