How to Easily Get Back into a Routine after the Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

New semesters bring with them a lot of mixed emotions. Of course, there’s a feeling of excitement about starting new classes, but that doesn’t usually mask the dread of having to wake up early and the horror of the new list of assignments you now have to complete. This is why it’s important to start the semester off as efficiently as possible. Starting the new semester right could alleviate those overwhelming feelings of stress, make tasks more manageable, and overall make you feel more accomplished and better about yourself. Here are five tips that will help you overcome your anxiety about the new semester and get you on the right track.

1. Declutter and Organize your Space

A messy and cluttered environment is a big thing that will deter you from accomplishing anything. Starting off the day by making sure your space is clean will encourage you to get more done since there won’t be any distractions or clutter getting in your way. You’ll be able to clearly focus on your task at hand with a much lower chance of your mind wandering elsewhere. Not only will your productivity increase, but you already have a small victory in the bag just from organizing your space!

2. Create a Schedule for Yourself

Organizing your time is a crucial step for getting back into a routine. Creating a schedule will help keep you on track because it breaks up your day into small achievable goals. Getting through each of these tasks will add to your sense of accomplishment. It is proven that physically checking off a task on your to-do list will boost your productivity because the more productive you are, the more motivated you are to keep going.

3. Maintain a Healthy Diet

So far, there’s been a lot of talk about productivity and accomplishing goals. In order to keep those things up, though, you need to be energized and, of course, feel well enough to do them. You don’t necessarily need to completely switch up your diet, but if you want to that’s great, too. Focus on making more health-conscious decisions when picking out snacks or a side for your meal. For example, try opting for vegetables instead of chips for a snack or if you’re not having the healthiest lunch, add a salad to the side to balance it out. I’m sure you’ve heard it enough, but don’t forget to drink enough water!

4. Get Enough Sleep

Everyone is guilty of getting distracted by their phones before bed. You’re scrolling through social media or watching Netflix and before you know it, it’s two in the morning. This can result in overwhelmingly sleepy spells throughout the day. Instead of trying to push through this feeling which can decrease the quality of your work, designate a different time in the day for entertainment. This way you’ll be able to get a better night’s sleep and feel more rested as you work.

5. Start Small and Take Breaks

It’s important to remember that you shouldn’t expect yourself to get into a full-fledged productive routine after day one. Gradually ease yourself back into things. If you expect too much of yourself right from day one, the chance of you feeling accomplished rather than completely drained is low. If you slowly and steadily start increasing your workload and changing your habits, that’s when you will become more accustomed to completing your daily tasks.

It’s definitely not easy to get back into routine. Even with these steps, it still takes hard work and determination. The rewarding feeling of getting things done is definitely worth it, though. Remember, if you feel yourself getting overwhelmed, go and take a break. Make 2021 a great year and don’t forget to be kind to yourself!

Tamara Jefak

Wilfrid Laurier '22

Tamara is in her third year at Wilfrid Laurier University and is pursuing a double major in English and Communication Studies. Alongside writing, she enjoys traveling, sparkling water, and dancing in the kitchen while cooking with her roommates.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her