body images 2020 01 24 couple20with20petsjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2020 01 24 couple20with20petsjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

How to Cope with Missing Your Furry Friends While at University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

No matter what type of pet you have, it’s pretty safe to say that all kinds of pets bring so much love and joy into your life. When you’re stressed, they’re always there to calm you down. When you’re sad, they’re always there to cheer you up. All in all, pets are some of the best friends you can have. So when you graduate high school and move away to university or college, at first it can be difficult coping with how much you miss your furry friends. It’s tough dealing with homesickness, but these tips will help make it a little easier and will make sure that the next time you see your pets, it will be worth it.

Decorate Your New Space with Pictures of Your Pets

One way is to include small photos of your pets in your new living space. If you’re moving into a dorm or an apartment, print off a couple of fun pictures of your pets and add them to a photo collection. You can then post these photos on one of your bedroom walls and be reminded of your pets whenever you look up at it! You could even have a photo near your desk so that when you are in need of a break from your schoolwork, the photo can help you to help relax. Choosing photos of you with your animals will also help to remember some of your best memories with them. They can help remind you of all the fun times you have had with your furry friends before you moved away.

Facetime Your Loved Ones at Home

Sometimes it takes people a little more time to get comfortable being away from home, and that’s okay! Facetiming and calling loved ones in the first couple of weeks of being away can help you start to feel more comfortable in your new living space. When it comes to your pets, ask the loved one that you are facetiming to show you them or send you pictures. This allows you to still feel “at home” in some ways. You can see your furry friend and say hi to them, as well as be reassured that they’re okay.

When You’re Home, Spend Lots of Time with Them

Whenever you decide to go home, whether it be for a weekend or a holiday, spend as much time with your pet as possible. It will help you to feel so much more connected after spending some time away. Your pet will love hanging out with you! Although you get to spend so much time with your pet, it might also cause you to miss them a little more once you move back away. But in the short term, this works to make you two feel connected and loved. Just use the above tricks if you go back to school and realize that you do miss your pet a little more than before.

Stay Connected with Your Family

Staying connected to your loved ones, whether it be your parents or siblings, will also help to ease your mind. You can casually ask or text about your pet when talking to your family to stay updated and informed with everything that’s going on. This way, you won’t feel like you’re being left out of your pets’ life.

Missing your pets can be difficult when you first move away from home. But there are so many small tips and tricks that can help ease the ache of missing them. Make sure to love your pet while you have them and spend as much time with them as you can because you’ll never know how long they’ll be here for.

Alexandra Winter

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Alex is in her third year of Kinesiology at Wilfrid Laurier University and is also minoring in Psychology. She has been a writer for Her Campus for about a year and a half and has loved every second of it. Some of her main hobbies include reading, working out, and hanging out with friends. Her favourite shows are Money Heist and Euphoria. She has a twin sister and 3 amazing pets who she loves very much.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!