jealous weekends K x1SLlqFyo unsplashjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jealous weekends K x1SLlqFyo unsplashjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I would love to tell you that to be a girl boss, you simply just have to follow the following tips and you will automatically be the highest version of yourself. The truth is that the best version of yourself is ever-changing. As we grow, we create new versions of ourselves that will change according to our standards and positions in life. However, that doesn’t mean there aren’t things that you can do to help yourself be the boss of your own life.

Know what you want.

To be your best self, you must know yourself. Ask yourself: who are you and what interests you? I’m not saying you have to figure out every aspect of your life and have everything together because, let’s be honest, no one does. That being said, make sure to figure out what you want out of your life and do small things either weekly or even daily to help you towards that goal. Once you’ve figured this out, find something to motivate you, whether that’s a routine or an environment full of people who have similar ambitions as you. Always ensure you are doing what is best for you. After all, you are the one who has to live your life.

Fake it till you make it.

If there’s one secret in life, it’s that no one knows what they are doing. Everyone is winging it. If you don’t have the confidence to do something, pretend that you do and you will succeed. This was the biggest factor in helping me develop my sense of confidence as well. Eventually, your fabricated confidence will become natural for you, and it will become easier to ask for what you want and need. Your confidence will constantly manifest itself in everything you do if you continue to work on it and practice being confident in your daily life.

Do not focus on the past.

It’s super easy to let your past mistakes or experiences keep you caught up in the worst possible outcome of every situation. It is important to focus on the future and realize that every decision you make is in your control. Notice that you learn different lessons from every decision you make, instead of focusing on the worst parts of that experience.

Avoid gossip and creating toxic competition.

Gossiping about other people makes you seem insecure and jealous of what someone else has going on. It’s completely normal to feel such things but avoid discussing them with others. Private matters should always be kept private, especially if it is not your business to tell. At the end of the day, your only competition is yourself; focus on your goals and what you’re doing to better yourself. That is all that matters. Support each other rather than tearing one another apart. By helping those around you succeed, you will both prevail. After all, when you reach your dreams, you’ll want to share them with others.

Be yourself.                                                                                                                     

This one is pretty obvious, but just be yourself and trust that one day you will get to where you want to go. Being your authentic self is the most important thing when working towards your goals. If you aren’t being yourself, then you won’t be creating an image of yourself that is authentic. Being yourself and embracing your true colors will also help you be happiest and most confident. After all, there is no one like you! Embrace that.

There are many other ways that you can achieve that “girl boss attitude,” but these are the most important things by which I live my life that have helped me be myself and stay confident! Although all of these tips are easier said than done, it is important that as women, we embrace our power and stand our ground. No matter who you are, where you are or what you’re doing, I hope you know that you are worth it. Be the boss of your own life; you are in control. Happiness is always a choice.

Happy Women’s History Month.

“Here’s to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.” – Michelle Obama

Source:

https://www.elitedaily.com/women/girl-boss-mean-girl/1305707

Kristyn Cole

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Kristyn is an outgoing and determined student who loves to take photos, listen to music, and hang out with friends. In her free time, she enjoys watching movies, and occasionally going shopping! Kris loves chocolate-covered strawberries and huskies. She joined Wilfrid Laurier's Her Campus in the Fall 2020 Semester to pursue her passion for writing.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her