This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Since the beginning of TikTok, all I have been seeing is a variety of viral recipes on my For You Page. I thought to myself  “If these recipes have been trending on TikTok, they must be good.” I found that some of these recipes are definitely worth hype, and some are not. Here are my honest reviews on trending TikTok recipes.

Gigi Hadid’s Spicy Vodka Pasta

This is by far, one of my favourite recipes on TikTok. The richness of the sauce and the hint of spice makes this recipe so addictive to eat. Aside from the taste, the recipe is easy to follow and can be customized to your liking. I know I prefer more spice, so I just added more chili flakes. For those afraid of the vodka, it is not a strong taste at all and actually adds a nice flavour to it. This is coming from someone who absolutely cannot stand vodka.

Feta Pasta

Although this pasta recipe was going viral everywhere on TikTok, I personally did not like this pasta at all. The feta cheese was way too intense in flavour which made it quite hard to enjoy the rest of the pasta. Do not get me wrong, I love feta cheese, but too much feta is way too overpowering in flavour. If the feta is replaced with another cheese, the recipe would be so much better.

Salmon Rice Bowl

For the longest time, Emily Mariko’s salmon bowl recipe has been popping up all over my For You Page. So of course, I had to try it out myself. I can truly understand the hype about this recipe because it was very delicious. It’s an easy meal to make when you have leftover salmon and rice and just drizzle some sriracha and kewpie mayo. For someone who is picky about condiments, I really enjoyed the sriracha and kewpie mayo for extra flavour and spice.

One great hack that I learned about this recipe is that Emily Mariko adds ice to her rice, adds parchment paper and microwaves it. It makes the rice soft and steamy, especially after it gets dry from being in the fridge.

Frozen Grapes

All I can say is, if you have sensitive teeth, this recipe is not for you. For those who don’t have sensitive teeth like me, you would definitely enjoy this snack.

It is a pleasant and healthy snack to eat and really easy to prepare too. The interior of the grape gives it a sorbet-like taste, and someone brings out more of the grape flavour as well. It will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth.

Dalgona Coffee

I remember this recipe came out during the first Covid-19 lockdown, and everyone was recreating this at home. Right off the bat, I think this drink is hit or miss.

Depending on what instant coffee is used, how much of it and how much sugar is used, it can change the taste of this drink. I have also never gotten more of an arm workout than when I was whipping this coffee together. It takes a lot of time, effort and cleaning too, to create this drink.

Although, I will say it gives pretty promising results if done correctly. The whipped consistency does make the drink more enjoyable than a regular iced coffee since it adds a bit of fluffiness to the drink.

I also have to say that this recipe is not simply just a TikTok trend. It originates from South Korea but is also from other countries such as India, Greece, Pakistan and Macau. This drink has been around in many countries for a very long time, way before it became a “quarantine TikTok trend.”

Tik Tok has come up with so many innovative twists and recipes for everyone to enjoy. Just because a recipe is trendy though, does not mean it is always good. Everyone has different taste buds, but I definitely think recipes you find are something worth exploring.

Sahaana Jeevendra

Wilfrid Laurier '24

My name is Sahaana Jeevendra. I'm a first year student at Wilfred Laurier University studying Business Administration. Some of my aspirations for the future are being a successful woman, be happy, and continue to live life to the fullest.