Pink cartoon graphic of women
Pink cartoon graphic of women
Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier
Culture > News

Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier is Hiring our Fall 2020 Team!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Fall 2020 is going to be a semester unlike any other, to say the least. Given the social distancing measures that have been put in place by the university, you might be wondering how you’re going still to be able to get involved this year – and we’ve got your answer!

Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier is hiring general team members for the Fall 2020 semester and it’s a great way to stay connected to fellow Golden Hawks, no matter where you’ll be this term! If you’re interested in joining, read on for more information about Her Campus and make sure to get your application in by September 15th at 11:59PM!

What is Her Campus?

Her Campus is a media site targeted towards college women. Started in 2009 by three Harvard students, it has grown to include multiple different brands. Her Campus Media owns the brands College Fashionista, Her20s and Spoon University, as well as the influencer communities Campus Trendsetters and the InfluenceHer Collective. Through these acquisitions and their national site, they have become the #1 online publication geared towards collegiettes.

Most relevant to us is the Her Campus Chapter Network! Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier is one of ~400 chapters in the HC family. Being part of our Her Campus chapter provides opportunities to build connections and gain experience both in the Laurier community and Her Campus community.

Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier falls into the top 5% of all Her Campus chapters, and we pride ourselves on the uplifting and encouraging community we foster for our members. If you want to learn new skills related to journalism, editing, event planning or marketing, then this would be the perfect club for you!

Who can join Her Campus?

All undergraduate students enrolled at Laurier’s Waterloo campus are welcome to apply, regardless of if you’ll be in Waterloo or living elsewhere this term! We don’t restrict membership to certain programs or years, so you could be a first year music student or fifth year math student – it doesn’t play a roll in our hiring! And, while our content and events are primarily targeted towards Laurier’s female population, we encourage everyone who is interested in joining to apply, regardless of gender orientation.

What positions are you hiring for?

Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier has four general member teams that you can apply for!

Writing

Our writers are the team members responsible for all of the engaging content on our site. We allow our writers to choose what they want to write about – common topics include fashion and beauty, entertainment, current events, relationships, culture and lifestyle! Writers are expected to write one 450+ word article a week. If you are passionate about sharing your thoughts and opinions, and want to amplify your voice, this is a great position for you!

Apply here!

Editing

Our editors are the behind-the-scenes heroes that ensure all of our content is of the best quality possible! Editors are assigned 3-5 team members whose articles they’ll edit every week. Things our editors must be on top of include spelling, grammar, clarity, formatting and fact-checking. This is the perfect position for people who want to contribute to the publication aspect of Her Campus without the pressure of having to write every week.

Apply here!

Events

Our events team is a huge reason why we are the tight-knit community we are! They plan and run all of our internal socials for team bonding, in addition to external events that serve the whole Laurier community. If you are always coming up with creative ways to spend time with your friends, this is the role for you!

Apply here!

Marketing

The marketing team is responsible for increasing awareness about Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier! Marketing members run our social media accounts, run awesome giveaways, plan partnerships and takeovers, and run other marketing campaigns! If you know the best times to post on Instagram, make the most creative TikToks or have the perfect idea for a partnership, you’re the kind of person we’d love to have on our marketing team!

Apply here!

Is experience a necessity to join?

Definitely not! One of things that makes Her Campus great is that we give our members the opportunity to push their boundaries and learn new skills. When we look at applications, we focus on identifying the applicants with the most creative ideas who are full of passion and enthusiasm. That said, for more competitive positions like editing and events, having some experience definitely wouldn’t hurt!

Can I join multiple teams?

We currently only allow members to belong to one team – this is necessary to maximize the number of applicants we are able to accept! That said, there are many ways to make contributions to teams other than your own. For example, anyone on the team is allowed to write if they wish. Likewise, anyone can submit pictures to be shared on our social media platforms! Additionally, everyone is given the opportunity to recommend event ideas.

What will the time commitment be like?

All team members are asked to attend weekly virtual meetings – with accommodations/leniency possible when other commitments or extenuating circumstances arise! Meetings will be happening at a time that is most convenient for the majority of members and can range from 30 minutes to an hour! Otherwise, the commitment is dependent on your specific team and how quickly you can fulfill your responsibilities! That said, your team responsibilities should not take more than 2 hours.

Why should I join Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier?

Her Campus provides valuable opportunities to fine-tune your skills in a number of areas. At the same time, you get to be a part of an empowering and motivated community unlike any other at Laurier. If you want to make the most of this strange and unique year, getting involved is the way to go, and Her Campus is the club to join!

Have any further questions? Don’t hesitate to email our co-presidents at hc.wilfridlaurier@hercampus.com or reach out to us on social media!

What are you waiting for? Apply now!

Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her