This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I get it. All of us have so much work to do while we’re in university, and you don’t need me to tell you that. Sometimes it’s easier just to stay in bed instead of going out to face the world. But going to class is literally why you’re here, so don’t skip out. Here are some tips and tricks to get yourself motivated to get to class — every single time. 

1) Calculate the amount of money you’re wasting. 

Take a moment to calculate how much each class costs. For Laurier Arts classes, for example, we are in class three hours a week, twelve weeks, for each course you take. So, multiply three times twelve, then multiply that by however many courses you’re in — for me, it’s 180. Take what you pay in tuition and divide the product from that. 

For me, it’s approximately $20 an hour that I pay for each hour of class. If I miss a three-hour lecture, that’s $60 that I paid for and didn’t use. 

When you put a number on your time, it will help keep you accountable. If you want to go a step further, commit to donating that amount to charity each time you skip. I mean, if you can afford to waste $60, then you can afford to give $60 to someone who actually needs it. 

2) Take a moment to remember just how lucky you are

People all over the world, especially women, would absolutely kill and die to get an education that you can choose to walk away from. That’s such a privilege that so many people will never get to have. 

When you’re thinking of skipping, take a deep breath, and just make a mental list of everything you’re thankful for. If your education isn’t one of the first things that comes to mind, maybe you shouldn’t be at university at all. On the flip side, if you realize that you are thankful for it, there’s no reason for you to skip. 

It’ll also help you get motivated to push through those 8:30 classes and the three-hour lectures. They can drag, and sometimes they really suck. But if you’re thankful for your education, none of it will matter by the end of the semester. 

3) Scare yourself into going

Today, your professor is giving out bonus marks for attendance. If you skip, your 78.9% won’t get rounded up by the end of the semester, and if you got that bonus mark, you’d be on Dean’s Honours. 

Unlikely? Yeah. But it’s totally possible. Scare yourself into thinking every class will be giving you bonus marks. Scare yourself into thinking that all of the exam answers will be revealed in this class. 

When you think about it, you kind of are getting bonus marks and the answers just by showing up. If you take in information — any information — you’ve learned something that you can use later. You know it’ll be relevant by the end of the course at exam time because it’s being talked about. You’re just helping yourself out. 

4) If you really must skip, give yourself a reason — a good one

Binge-watching Netflix until 4:00 AM is not a valid excuse. Neither is being busy or having assignments due. Those are things that you can work around, and you always find time for the things that are important. 

If you really feel you have to skip, imagine telling the reason to your professor or your future employer. If they would accept it — say, sickness (mental or physical), a death, etc. — it’s a valid reason. If they’d turn you around, go to class. 

Take care of yourself and your wellbeing, but also don’t use that as an excuse to skip out on your responsibilities. Sometimes, self-care involves getting out of bed, having a shower, and going to class. Be kind to yourself and don’t always let yourself be consumed by anything for too long.

Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.