This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Especially as we students enter midterm exam season, I’m faced with what feels like a never-ending stream of work — I’m drowning in it. No matter how much I stay organized, manage my time and work ahead of schedule, it never seems like enough. It can be difficult to shake the constant tiredness and stress as I continue to try to put my best foot forward. Long story short, I feel burnt out. But where do I go from here? Managing burnout is often easier said than done. When I’m already dealing with a lack of motivation, sometimes it feels easier to sit in my sorrows. While this mindset may seem unproductive, recognizing that I’m burnt out is the first step to coping. From there, I make an effort to practice five simple, yet effective strategies to counter my burnout so that I can not only reverse it but also prevent it.

1. Talk to Someone You Trust

I’m one to bottle up my feelings and just push through — trust me, I get it. You feel guilty for complaining, you don’t want to bother people, you don’t want ‘pity’ from others and so on. There are so many reasons why it can feel easier to just cope alone. But, more often than not, this is not a productive solution, especially long-term. I have come to the realization that talking (more like venting) to someone I can rely on does me a world of good. Sometimes all you need is a little validation from someone who cares about you. I find that it can be much easier to power forward with that weight off my chest.

2. Surround Yourself with Friends and Family

To put it simply, spending quality time with friends and family distracts me from the sources of burnout and brings me joy. Surrounding myself with a strong support system never fails to lift my spirits, which is so important as I look to reverse burnout.

3. Amp up the Self-Care.

This can be a difficult one. When I’m drowning in work, amping up the self-care can feel like the last thing I should do. However, I’ve realized that self-care doesn’t have to be time-consuming. Allowing myself time to unwind has proven to be a great way to recharge. For me, self-care is making time for myself and putting myself first. Doing my skincare routine. Taking a bath. Watching a comfort movie or television show. Reading a book. Cooking my favourite food. Once a day, I make time to engage in something that brings me joy. Such simple activities go a long way in allowing me to recharge and rediscover my passions.

4. Get active. Get outside.

This is a big one for me. Physical activity, whether that be a long workout at the gym or going for a walk, is a great stress reliever. Getting outside when I can and when the weather allows it always takes it a step further. Whether it be a walk, hike or bike ride, being able to decompress and enjoy the fresh air allows me to detach from school-related stressors.

Just in time for National Stress Awareness Day on November 1, I hope the ways I counter burnout help you combat your own. We’ve got this!

Avery Carpino

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Avery is a fourth-year Communications Studies student at Wilfrid Laurier University. She enjoys working out, reading and watching TV shows — The Walking Dead and Suits are shows she always revisits. She also loves spending time with her friends and family. Avery loves being a writer for Laurier’s Her Campus chapter, as writing is her main creative outlet.