Forget About The Friend Zone: Why You Should Date the Nice Guy for Once

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

For years we have been taught to go for the bad boy, I mean  as a little girl you are told that if a boy is mean to you…then he likes you. How does that make any sense?! If someone likes you, shouldn’t they be nice? Caring? Compassionate? I guess not.  As we grow up and thrust ourselves into the wonderful world that we call dating, what we tend to go for, and who we are attracted to, is the bad boy.  This is the guy who is literally known to be the douchebag and f*ck boy who just wants to have sex and then never call us again; but hey, that doesn’t stop us. But what if for one minute we stopped swiping right to the guy on tinder with a picture of his dog and a cheesy pick-up line who wants to “chill” and started paying more attention to the nice guys. These are my top ten reasons you should find yourself a nice guy, and seriously never let him go.

1. He will be thoughtful

A nice guy will always be thinking of you and your feelings and will be thoughtful, and empathetic for whatever your day brings you.

2. He is nice to his mother

My mom once told me that you should always look at how a boy treats his mom, because that is how he will treat you. Not surprisingly, she was correct; those nice guys love their momma’s and will respect you just as much as he does his own mother.

3. Your friends and family will love him

Duh! If you were dating the sweetest guy on earth why wouldn’t they like him? They will see your happiness and the love he has for you and they will love him just as much!

4. He will spoil you in anyway he can

Now he may not shower you in gifts (or maybe he will) but the nice guy always makes a point to spoil you even if it’s just something little like your favourite brand of coffee to start your day.

5. You will never doubt the relationship

As a nice guy, he will tell you how he feels while taking care not to hurt you. You can trust him that everything is A-OK in your relationship.

6. No mind games

Ghosting? What’s that? Nice guys aren’t about those silly little mind games; they will tell you what’s up and aren’t afraid to talk about their feelings.

7. When he compliments you it’s genuine

Did I mention he is the nice guy? Obviously when he has something to say it’s going to be hella nice, and trust me nice guys don’t lie – so he means it.

8. Chances are he can cook

Not sure what it is about nice guys, but for some reason they usually come with a great deal of skill in the kitchen. Who knows if it was a talent they are all born with, or maybe they get it because they are always helping their mom. Either way, they can cook and God knows we all love to eat so it’s a major bonus.

9. He’s not afraid of commitment

The thing about finding that rare nice guy is that he won’t want to date just hook-up (foreign idea, I know). He wants a future and isn’t afraid of the commitment of an adult relationship.

10. He will always love you

You have found a nice guy, now as long as you are nice back that boy will never stop loving you. Even if you break his heart, he will still care for you as a friend… THAT’S HOW NICE HE IS!!

Now, speaking from experience to find a good one it will be a process. But as I always say, you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find your prince and trust me he is out there. So good luck out there Collegiettes, and keep kissing those frogs because your prince could be just around the corner!

AJ H

Wilfrid Laurier '19

stay smiling
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.