This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Many consider fall the perfect time to visit cafes and read eerie novels as the weather becomes colder and the rain starts to keep us indoors. I have some book recommendations for the fall that totally suit the dark aesthetic readers crave during this time of the year. Here are the top five books to read this fall.

5. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Psychics and spirits create a seamless story for Halloween. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater is a paranormal fantasy where clairvoyants can see the dead. This year, Blue Sargent sees ghosts for the first time and has a hard time keeping her distance from Gansey, one of the Raven Boys, who does not have the greatest reputation. Taking place at a private school, the air of academia makes an exciting read for students.

4. Scythe by Neil Shusterman

In a future without war, illness, or hunger, Scythe by Neil Shusterman is a dark dystopian sci-fi where humanity seems to have defeated all problems after creating the Thunderhead. The reality is that the world is just as dark as before, if not more, with Scythes given the task to end lives to keep the world population under control. The morals that the first Scythe created long ago have been forgotten, with current Scythes running a corrupt system. This futuristic dystopia is a must-read for sci-fi lovers.

3. A Curse for True Love by Stephanie Garber

Newly released in time for the fall season, A Curse for True Love by Stephanie Garber is the third book in the Once Upon a Broken Heart series. A Curse for True Love is an enchanting and mysterious fantasy for readers who want to experience the darker aesthetic of literature this season. With a mix of romance and deception, Evangaline and the Prince of Hearts leave the readers in constant anticipation as to how their story will unfold. I cannot wait to get my hands on a copy!

2. The Secret History by Donna Tart

Donna Tart’s The Secret History is a popular classic, taking place at an elite college in New England. With each character’s dark and complex nature, the book quickly becomes captivating. The novel dives into themes of cults, murder and mystery, which a group of students get caught up in throughout the year. If students want to add excitement to their regular day at university, reading about preppy college students who are bonded by cultish obsessions can be the perfect way.

1. Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo

Ever wondered what goes on in secret societies in Ivy League schools? How do these students become rich and powerful after graduation? Another book that takes place in a college is Leigh Bardugo’s Ninth House, which explores secret societies at Yale University, an obscure setting for readers. This novel is unlike Bardugo’s previous series as it has a greater focus on mystery and horror, creating a fantastically chilling story. The haunting occult activities in this book are truly suited for the spooky season. Whether you want to enjoy the cozy fall season indoors or are searching for a spooky read, I highly recommend these novels for this Fall!

Ayse Aras

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Hi, I'm Ayse, a student at Wilfrid Laurier University who enjoys channeling their creativity into writing fun content. I'm currently in my third year, pursuing a BA in psychology. After I graduate, my goal is to study a masters abroad, since my dream is to travel A LOT. In my free time, I like to read books and listen to music, and I am also passionate about photography and writing.