This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Whether I am reading a book or watching a film, I always vividly imagine the carefully crafted worlds where they take place. In most cases, this brews creativity and fosters inspiration. With that in mind, here are some of my favourite go-to films that inspire me to be productive, work on my hobbies or even start my own screenplay.

Little Women

Both the book and the movie (2019 or 1994) will brighten your day and leave you feeling warm and fuzzy. The 2019 version of the movie directed by Greta Gerwig features Saoirse Ronan, Timothee Chalamet and Florence Pugh, a noteworthy cast that brings the characters to life. Some of the most riveting parts of this film are the updated takes on female writers of that time period, along with a refreshing take on marriage. This modernizes the classic narrative and really reminds me how open the possibilities for writers are and how important it is to follow your passion. Even the 1994 version holds up to the test of time, as it features Winona Ryder defying stereotypes and taking control of her own life. These movies ignite a sense of nostalgia for me and inspire me to complete my work, whether it be writing or just getting through some school assignments.

The Princess Bride

Speaking of nostalgia, the ultimate nostalgic movie for me is The Princess Bride. I vividly recall seeing this movie for the first time with my Nana and Papa, and to this day, it remains one of my comfort films. You will find an unlikely cast of characters and an unconventional love story when watching this film. There is an aspect of wonder and imagination as you fall into this magical kingdom. This movie will satisfy your inner child and leave you repeating, “As you wish buttercup!”

Spirited Away

I never intended to watch movies or series in the anime genre, which I think is still a stigma most people have. Yet, the first time I watched Studio Ghibli’s film Spirited Away, I was utterly captivated and have not stopped enjoying anime since. Spirited Away not only pushes the limits of narrative but also features stunning animation that will have you captivated the entire film. One of my favourite parts of anime is the creativity that goes into the characters and the overall visuals; I have never been more inspired to think outside the box than when I watched Chihiro walk into the bathhouse and take in the beautiful creatures around her. It feels as though I am discovering it along with her.

Doctor Who

One of my earliest memories of hearing about Doctor Who was when my Gran mentioned she used to watch it, only to have my Uncle John spoil the then-noticeable special effects. In the 2000s the show received a revival, and when I began watching it I became an instant Whovian. Doctor Who is one of my main inspirations for pursuing screenwriting as it features some of the most intricate and well-planned storylines. I have even had the pleasure to see it unfold. Steven Moffat, one of the show’s primary writers, brings life to the science fiction genre in such a magnificent way; it sparks my creativity and leaves me thinking. I highly recommend you give Doctor Who a watch, and perhaps you too will become a Whovian.

The Dark Knight

Moving onto a much darker film in nature, The Dark Knight is a film I was not quite sure of when I first watched it with my dad. On my second watch, after taking some film classes and delving into Christopher Nolan’s works, I was completely struck by how well The Dark Knight builds its characters and creates a neo-noir feel. I recommend you get a bag of chips, cozy up on the couch in the dark and experience this movie in its full glory. After all, Nolan’s specialty is leaving the viewer thinking.

The Haunting of Hill House

Lastly, a show that features dark twists and is the perfect embodiment of horror, The Haunting of Hill House, directed by Mike Flannagan, will genuinely send a shiver down your spine. From the bone-chilling visuals to the interconnected storyline (can you tell I love an excellent screenplay?) to the fantastic cast of characters, this show will not only leave you frightened but utterly speechless. For me, Halloween is the designated time to re-watch this masterpiece and without fail, every time I see it, I am more invested in it.

I hope you can enjoy some of the films I listed here, and hopefully, you too can finish them feeling thought-provoked and inspired!

Abigail Oshell

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Author in the making, film enthusiast & English major📚🎥🪴🐸