Everything You Need to Know About Skin Cancer Before Your Holiday Vacation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

There is no better feeling than coming home from vacation with that new tan, am I right? You look in the mirror and feel so much better about yourself. Your skin is probably a few shades darker, hair is probably a little lighter, and you have compliments coming left and right from your friends and family. I have to admit it, it’s a great feeling. However, that nice new glow you have going may not be so nice after all. Remember when you were younger and your parents nagged you to put on your sunscreen? Regardless if it was one of the face ones that looked like a glue stick, the cool spray ones that made the application quick and easy, or the good old lotion type that often left you looking like a ghost, sunscreen was definitely being lathered on you each time you were in the sun. We may not have appreciated it back then, but trust me, that sunscreen did more good than harm, and it is something we have to start implementing into our lifestyles yet again.

Skin cancer happens more frequently than you would think, as Melanoma, one of the most common and dangerous forms of skin cancer, presents itself with 87,110 NEW cases per year. There are three major types of skin cancer: Basal Cell Carcinoma (BCC), Squamous Cell Carcinoma (SCC), and Melanoma. BCC and SCC are non-melanoma cancers, meaning they start in the cells of the skin, so on the upper and middle layers of the epidermis (fancy word, I know), and very rarely spread to other parts of the body. Although this type of skin cancer can spread, it is very unlikely, and if caught early and treated appropriately, will cause little to no harm on one’s health. On the contrary, Melanoma skin cancer is a lot more serious, and is one that everyone should be informed about. Melanoma is the most dangerous form of skin cancer, and the growths caused by this cancer often is the result of strong UV lights coming from the sun. Tumors, which often appear as moles, begin to develop and quickly spread throughout one’s body and into their bloodstream, thus making this form of cancer fatal. Here are a few things to look out for when it comes to checking your body for unusual spots. Whether you do it yourself, get a friend to do so, or even your S.O, it is important (regardless of your age) that you check your skin for any unusual spots, moles, or growths.

Asymmetry

If you were to draw a line through the mole on the left, you would see that it is symmetrical, and therefore is not usually concerning. However, the mole on the right poses more of a threat, as you can easily tell that it is asymmetrical- a warning sign of Melanoma.

Border

A mole that is not concerning will have a smooth, even border (left). Whereas a concerning mole will be uneven, and possibly even scalloped or notched (right). Colour

The majority of benign moles are one colour- being a single shade of brown. Moles that are a variety of different colours are definitely alarming, and they are something to be discussed with a dermatologist. Diameter

The diameter (being the outside measurements of the mole), is smaller in benign moles. Whereas in malignant moles, the diameter usually starts off small, but then eventually grows, and is then something to be concerned about. Evolving

Benign moles look the same over time. So, if you had a mole from when you were younger and it looks the same, it isn’t usually something to worry about. You should stay on alert for any moles evolving or changing, and if this is the case, talk to your doctor.

These are just some of the warning signs of Melanoma, and are the ones you should take a few minutes out of your day to look for. Although the majority of skin cancer cases are generated from UV lights from the sun, you can get these ultraviolet rays from many other products, including tanning beds. So, before you go away for your holiday this winter break, don’t go to a tanning bed to get that “base tan”…. it truly isn’t worth it. And while you’re on vacation, make sure you put on some sunscreen. I don’t care if you want to have that nice glow when you return home, I don’t care if the “sunscreen makes your face oily,” and I don’t care if you think you’re too old or too cool for sunscreen. A simple application of some form of sunscreen can help decrease your chances of skin cancer significantly, and your family, friends, and most importantly YOU, will appreciate the fact that you took the time to do so. Did you know that one bad burn is all it takes for you to be at a very high risk for skin cancer in the future? One time in the sun. That’s all it takes. Is it really worth it? When you hear skin cancer, you usually don’t panic, as it doesn’t seem to be that much of a big deal. But trust me, IT IS. Skin cancer is cancer, it doesn’t get simpler than that. So, before you leave for your holiday vacation this winter break, take a minute to think about these risks, and see if it is really worth it for you to skip that sunscreen application. Trust me, I love coming home with a nice tan, but I would also love to go on with my life knowing I reduced my risk of skin cancer, and I think you all should, too. I encourage everyone to think carefully about the risks of UV lights before putting themselves in situations that could impact their health. Don’t just think about your appearance now, think about how this will impact you in the years to come. Is it really worth it?

Scarlett Cohen

Wilfrid Laurier

Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.