Easy Sangria and Cocktail Recipes that Look Good and Taste Even Better

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Frosh Week is over, but there’s no reason to fret because your full course load has yet to catch up with you. To most basic twenty-something-year-old girls like us, this means that you have a few extra nights in your week to celebrate being a university student. What better way to celebrate or and make your night special than enjoying the girliest of drinks with your gals!

However, if you’re a professional procrastinator like so many of us, making fun fruity drinks is something you plan on doing every week, but never actually get around to. Or you may feel that it’s more important to spend every last minute before going out  perfecting an impeccable smoky eye.

Thankfully, for all you busy Golden Hawk ladies, there are many easy and yummy cocktails and sangria recipes that won’t take very much time out of your precious pre-party pampering time! Here are just a few of my favourites.

Mint and Citrus White Wine Sangria

Recipe found on Minimalist Baker

I made this Sangria for my birthday this year, and continued to make it throughout the summer because it was just so easy. Since I was limited on supplies and time, this recipe worked for me because it doesn’t call for any fancy flavoured liqueurs or things that you can’t usually find at home. I am also a big white wine drinker, so it’s definitely a favourite for me.

Ingredients:

–       1 bottle white wine

–       1 lemon, thinly sliced

–       1 lime, thinly sliced

–       8-10 mint leaves

–       2 Tbsp sugar

Instructions:

1.     Prepare simple syrup by mixing 2 Tablespoons of sugar and 2 Tablespoons of water in a small dish and microwaving for 30-second increments until sugar is dissolved. Alternatively, prepare a large batch on the stovetop using a 1:1 sugar-water ratio and reserve for later use.

2.     Once simple syrup is ready, add 1 Tablespoon to each wine glass. Then add mint leaves and stir/lightly muddle. Next add several slices each of lemon and lime.

3.     Top off with wine and let set for a few minutes so the flavours can meld together. Top off with more wine and citrus as needed.

My own twist on the recipe:

When I used this recipe, I changed it up a little bit to make it a little stronger and better suited for a larger crowd.  I purchased 2 lemons instead of 1 and added 2 cups of Sprite so that it was a little bit carbonated as well, and it also added to the lemon flavour. Finally, I added a small amount of vodka to make up for diluting the sangria with sprite. All in all, it was extremely easy. It didn’t call for too many additional ingredients and I didn’t have to prepare it the night before, which was a bonus. Not to mention, it looked great and was a big hit with my friends! 

Rose Berry Sangria

Recipe found on Damn Delicious

I found this recipe on a cooking blog called Damn Delicious, which provides a lot of easy recipes with simple ingredients for non-cooking experts like myself. It reminded me of sangria similar to the one my mom makes, with assorted berries and rose wine, which are both a hit for any girl. Unlike the citrus and mint sangria above, it does require that the sangria sits in the fridge for an hour. The prep time for this recipe is only about 5 minutes, so you could always make the sangria before getting dressed. That way, it will be ready by the time you’re done and ready to party!

Ingredients:

–       1 (750 mL) bottle rose wine

–       1 cup strawberries, thinly sliced

–       ½ cup raspberries

–       ½ cup blackberries

–       ½ blueberries

–        ¼ cup sugar

–       12 ounces lemon- lime soda (sprite or 7up would probably suffice)

Instructions:

1.    In a large pitcher, whisk together rose wine, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and sugar.

2.    Let chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.

3.    Serve over ice with lemon-lime soda. 

Rum and Grapefruit Spritzers 

Recipe found on Real Simple

Grapefruit juice is my go-to when it comes to mixed drinks, so there’s no surprise that this recipe is a favourite of mine. This recipe is great because it’s super easy and looks pretty impressive if it’s your turn to host. Most importantly, it happens to be pink!

Ingredients:

–       Kosher salt

–       1 Grapefruit wedge

–       2 cups fresh pink grapefruit juice

–       1 cup ginger ale or ginger beer

–       ¾ cup light rum

–       Candied ginger slices for garnish

Instructions:

1.    Place 1 tablespoon salt on a small plate. Rub the rims of 4 glasses with the grapefruit wedge, and then dip the rims in the salt to coat.

2.    In a large pitcher, combine the grapefruit juice, ginger ale, and rum. Serve over ice in the prepared glasses; garnish each with a ginger slice.

If you don’t have any grapefruit wedges or candied ginger slices handy, simply dip the tip of your glass in water and then dip the wet rim in a small plate of salt. If you’re like me and prefer everything sweet, dip the tip of your glass into a plate of sugar instead of salt. 

Fruit Ice Cubes

Another fun and easy option to spice up your regular cocktail or mixed drink is to throw in some fruit cubes. Fill up an ice tray with your favourite fruit and a little water and let them freeze over night. Then throw the fruit cubes into a vodka soda or a simple juice and liquor mix. It’s an easy way to turn an average drink into something yummy and fun if you’re short of fancy ingredients. Fruit cubes are also aesthetically pleasing so they’re perfect if you are planning on entertaining your friends! 

Happy drinking ladies!

Mikaela Holder

Wilfrid Laurier

Mikaela is in her third year of Communications studies at Laurier and is excited to join the Her Campus team as a writer this year. Her favourite pastimes include binge watching Grey’s Anatomy or The Mindy Project with her new kitten, Maisy. When she’s not attending to crazy deadlines, she enjoys searching out charming coffee shops, wood fire pizzerias and making fruity cocktails and sangria for her friends. She is a hard worker and very determined when it comes to pursuing the things she loves… like searching for the perfect heeled bootie.
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem