This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Beauty products are often super expensive and filled with chemicals that can be really harsh on your skin. However, there are actually some hidden gems in your kitchen supplies that can help you achieve healthier looking skin, naturally. To help you get that natural glow, here are some cheaper alternatives that work even better than some high end products.

Eye Makeup Remover: Coconut Oil

Coconut oil has the amazing ability to remove intense eye makeup after a night out. To use, place 5 drops of the oil on a cotton pad and gently rub on and around your eyes.

Exfoliator: Baking Soda

Baking soda makes a great exfoliator, as it is made of fine grains and has antibacterial properties. To exfoliate, use 1 tbsp of baking soda and add enough warm water to form a paste. Rub in a circular motion across the face for 30 seconds and rinse with warm water for softer looking skin.

Exfoliating Face Mask: Lemon, Sugar & Honey

If you want to exfoliate your skin and lighten acne scars, these 3 ingredients are perfect, as they make an amazing exfoliator and have lightening properties. To create, mix 1 tbsp of sugar, 1 tbsp of honey and half a tbsp of lemon juice. Rub in a circular motion for 30 seconds. Keep in mind that results will show after continual use, but skin will feel softer instantly.

Toner: Apple Cider Vinegar

Apple Cider Vinegar has been proven to be a superfood with amazing benefits for the body, both internally and for the skin. To use as a toner, mix 2 parts ACV and 1 part water. Place solution on a cotton pad and apply all over face.

Night Moisturizer: Coconut Oil

Coconut oil not only traps in moisture but also has deep conditioning properties, due to its richness in vitamin E and saturated fats. To use, apply enough oil to cover your entire face and massage for 10 seconds. Leave the oil on and wash your face in the morning. You will wake up feeling like a new person.

Pro Tip: Use coconut oil as a hair mask before washing to relieve dry hair and soften the look of split ends.

Acne Scar Treatment: Plain Yogurt

Yogurt has plenty of antioxidants that can make skin appear much younger, as it is fully loaded with vitamins and minerals. To lighten scars, apply a small amount on the desired areas and allow to dry. Simply rub off when dry for a mild exfoliating effect.

DIY Pore Mask: Milk and Gelatin

Milk and gelatin are both filled with protein and nutrients to help balance the pH levels of the skin and prevent skin from aging. To make a mask, place 1 tbsp of clear, unflavored gelatin powder and 1 1/2 tbsp of milk in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat the mixture for 10 seconds. Once the mixture has cooled, apply a layer over your nose and t-zone and allow it to dry for 30 minutes. After it is completely dry, start peeling with the edges and work your way inward to unclogged those pores.

So there you have it! My fave ways to combat troublesome skin using just what’s in my pantry, without have to make a trip to the drugstore.

Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.