international student?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
international student?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Zen Chung Via Unsplash

Day in the Life of a Laurier Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I woke up before my alarm this morning, which is a rare but impressive occurrence. I’ll be honest: I scrolled on TikTok for about 45 minutes, which was actually pretty quick compared to my typical morning routine. Then, I forced myself out of bed by using the 1,2,3 method. If you’re not sure what that is, you basically count to three and by the time you reach the number three, you must get up. This method surprisingly works every time.

I then put on some morning tunes and made my bed because I saw somewhere that if you make your bed every day for 3 weeks, it turns into a habit and makes you more productive. After the tunes were going, I took a quick body shower because hair wash day isn’t for another 2 days, and I started on my makeup. I had done a bit of self-tanning drops for my face the night before, so I didn’t have to apply much.

After my makeup was complete, I picked out an outfit and put on my new Dr. Martens to go with it. I bundled up for the cold as now it’s snowing in Waterloo and made a blistery walk to a nearby coffee shop. I got a BLT panini and an iced chai latte, which came to $17!!! I wasn’t planning on spending that much that early in the morning but I just had to roll with it. I just couldn’t bring myself to eat at the dining hall this morning.

I brought my overpriced coffee and panini to the library to finish an annotated bibliography for my communications course. Instead… I started writing this article. I’m sorry it’s just much more fun to write about my day than it is to cite boring articles. Okay back to my day. After finishing up at the library, I went to the Bricker Academic building to attend my first and only lecture of the day, psychology. We learned about therapy!

Once class was over, I bussed to Dollarama to pick up some supplies for crafting. I’m currently working on a scrapbook. Once I acquired my supplies, I scrolled on Pinterest as one does for inspo and found some cute scrapbook ideas I can work on. Having something fun to do during the winter months is very important. I spent about an hour working on my scrapbook and then it was about 4 P.M. I scrolled on TikTok some more and then decided to watch a Christmas movie. I watched one of my favs, Love Actually.

During my movie, I made a grocery list for my Walmart trip this week and then I got a knock on my door. It was din din time! Yummy. We went to a really nice restaurant called Laurier’s dining hall! On the menu was pasta, stir fry, vegetable medley and chicken drumsticks. I got ice cream.

My friends and I played around in the snow a little bit and then went back to our dorm to play Catan. This game is very fun; I highly recommend it. We played a couple of rounds, and then we all worked on some work for our classes.

After this, I went back to my room, took off my makeup, got into some Christmas pjs and read My Year of Rest and Relaxation, which is currently one of my top fav books, before falling asleep. Goodnight! Thanks for coming along with me today!

Kayla Banning

Wilfrid Laurier '27

Hi everyone!! My name is Kayla and I'm a first year studying communications at Wilfrid Laurier University. I'm originally from Hamilton which is about an hour away from Waterloo. I am apart of the writing team here at Her Campus WLU and am very grateful for the opportunity to write on a big platform. Through my communications major I have discovered that I love media and I love to write. At my high school I was a Prefect which means I helped students adjust to the change from elementary school into high school. I know it can be a difficult adjustment which is why I want to help other first years feel comfortable and welcome during their adjustment from high school into university. During my high school years I worked at a grocery store where I managed customer service and helped train new employees. In my free time, I enjoy reading, listening to music, watching movies, and hanging out with my dog when I'm at home. My favourite book would have to be the Secret History by Donna Tartt (if you haven't read it yet i highly recommend), another few favourites are Normal People, The Catcher in the Rye, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and the Shatter Me series. My all time favourite artist would have to be Lana Del Rey and a very close second are the Arctic Monkeys. As for movies I have a wide range of favourites including Dead Poets Society, Gone Girl, The Breakfast Club, Black Swan, Alice in Wonderland, Clueless, and Little Women. My doggy is 8 years old and is the most precious thing in my life. I love any kind of animal but dogs are probably my favourite. A lot of my humour stems from the show New Girl and if you see me I'll probably be drinking a Dr.Pepper. Anyways, thank you for reading Her Campus and I look forward to writing to you!