A Comprehensive List of Personality Tests to Resolve Your Identity Crisis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Disclaimer: If you genuinely want to resolve your identity crisis for the long-term, this article might not necessarily provide you with the best strategy. Who knows? Read it at your own discretion.

If you ask any of your friends what comes to mind when they hear your name, and they say something along the lines of “personality test freak”, you’ve come to the right place. Chances are, you might be someone who understands sentiment on a spiritual level or someone who wants to understand it to find out more about yourself as a person. There is absolutely nothing wrong with procrastinating for your midterm by taking an essential BuzzFeed test to find out what type of potato you are based on your favourite flowers.

The goal of this article is to help fuel your personality test addiction further or get you started on that path, because it’s a cute way to bond with your loved ones or to figure out who you are if you’ve been having a quarter-life identity crisis recently. Without further ado, here is a list of some popular personality tests to date!

1. Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator (MBTI)

Based on the principles of Carl Jung, a Swiss psychiatrist and psychoanalyst, this personality test measures an individual’s personality against four main psychological functions. Carl Jung believed that people experienced the world based on these four main functions: introversion/extroversion, sensing/intuition, thinking/feeling and judging/perceiving. There are a total of sixteen personality archetypes you can fall under and each type has a personalized set of strengths, weaknesses, preferences and other cool magical findings. Fun fact: it was created by a dynamic mother and daughter duo!

2. The Enneagram

The Enneagram is based on the idea that there are nine fundamental possibilities in which an individual might view the world, and these personality types are each defined by a specific perspective of the world and life itself. So as a broad example, if you’re a Type 4, individualist/romantic, then you might crave deeper meaning in your life and be consistently reflecting on yourself and your place in the world!

3. The Five Love Languages

There have been past articles written on this topic and it has come back again! Because everyone is different from each other, two people won’t always appreciate gestures or show love in the same way. Whether it be through words of affirmation, quality time, physical touch, acts of service or giving gifts, this test is great for couples or individuals to take to understand which gestures speak volume to their hearts the most!

4. IDRlabs Personality Style Test

Through a series of questions, you’ll find out what your main psychological struggle is and what might be the biggest challenge you need to overcome. There are a ton of possibilities, but results can include paranoia, hypomania, compulsiveness and schizoid!

5. Rice Purity Test

This isn’t really a psychological personality test like the others, but it’s just super fun to take with your friends as a way of bonding together. This article won’t go into too much detail for specific reasons, but don’t be shy to try it out!

6. Big Five Personality Traits Model: OCEAN

You might have learned about this test in one of your university or college courses before, and there’s a reason why. This test is great for determining how you might react to different situations based on where you stand on five spectrums: openness, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness and neuroticism. Tons of career professionals and firms use these tests for recruitment and some sources are even suggesting to consider structuring management compensation pay based on the results of this test!

Whether or not you’re a hardcore believer in personality tests or totally against them (and if you are, no judgement but why?), hopefully this list can get you started on analyzing yourself a little bit more. There is no better time for self-reflection than in the present!

Melissa Wang

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Melissa is a fourth year business student at Laurier with a huge passion for writing and sharing stories. In her spare time, you can find her running a 5km, taking a personality test for the tenth time, binging a novel when she really should be studying or deeply analyzing everyone around her.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!