you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Come meet Chelsea, AKA DJ Delfine! She sat down to chat about her inspiration, life as a DJ, and more!

To start off this interview, can you tell the audience a little bit about yourself?

Hey, my name is Chelsea, and my DJ name is Delfine. I am 24 years old, and I currently reside in Kitchener. Aside from DJ’ing I enjoy playing volleyball, snowboarding, going to the beach, and playing games with friends. I have been a vegetarian for 2 years. I listen to all genres of music, but most commonly listen to chill-hop and deep house. I am also a college dropout! 

How long have you been DJ’ing for?

I started learning how to DJ when I was 20 years old, so about 4 years.

What got you interested in becoming a DJ, and how did you get started in the industry?

I grew up in a small town, so I didn’t really know being a DJ was such a phenomenon. When I was 20, a friend introduced me to EDM and house music. I enjoyed it so much I went to my first festival a week later (Labour of Love 2012) at The Guvernment Nightclub (RIP). Two weeks later I attended my next event, where the headlining act was Krewella. Seeing two females killing it gave me such an overwhelming feeling. I could feel my body and my mind telling me “you need to do that” (no, I was not on drugs). So as soon as I got home, I bought an online course for $9 from Digital DJ Tips for basic mixing. From there I bought a Numark Mixtrack Pro 2 and some studio monitors, and practiced in my room for about a year. I sent in a promo mix to The Mansion Nightclub in Barrie. They loved it and asked me to come play.

Do you have any musical inspirations, or any role models you have followed through your career?

My role models have changed a lot over my DJ career. I started out playing EDM so I followed a lot of DJs like Krewella, Martin Garrix, Hardwell, Mija, and Alison Wonderland. Now, I play a lot of mainstream and hip-hop so I always listen to local club DJs on mixcloud. Some big inspirations for me now are turntablists such as A-trak, DJ Perly, Vekked, and Lady Style.

How would you define your sound? What is your style as a DJ?

My mixing style used to be very all over the place in terms of song selection. My strong skill from the beginning was beat matching, without using sync of course. When I moved to Kitchener I had the opportunity to meet DJ Flash and his team at Across the Board Entertainment. They taught me a lot of new mixing techniques, how to play for my crowd, proper song selection, and how to use turntables. This really helped me define myself as a DJ. 

Do you find your DJ life and everyday life are separate in terms of your own style and persona, or do they correspond with one another?

A lot of times when I tell people I am a DJ they are shocked because I am a very quiet and shy person. So, obviously I am not one of those DJs who yell in the mic all night. I dress pretty casual both in everyday and DJ life. I wear a lot of black. I usually go with skinny jeans, baggy t-shirt, ball cap or beanie, and a hoodie if I am cold. People tell me that I am “so cool” a lot, so that is pretty cool.

As a female in a male dominated industry, have you ever found it difficult to be taken seriously as a professional DJ? Have you ever had to overcome any obstacles in your career to be in the position you are in now?

It is definitely difficult to be taken seriously in this male dominated industry. A lot of times when I am playing B2B with a male DJ people will just assume that I am the “DJ’s girlfriend”. People will also come into the bar while I am setting up and just assume that I am not good because I am a girl. I’m very laid-back so I just let my work speak for itself and I always get tons of compliments during the night, so that is very satisfying. I pretty much don’t let it bother me. I DJ because I love it and I know that with patience and hard work, I am going to be successful.

Is DJ’ing the only career you are currently in? Or do you have any other jobs you are working, in order to “pay the bills”?

I have a full time job aside from DJ’ing. I work Monday to Friday as a warehouse associate. I really enjoy the workplace, my co-workers are super cool, and I have benefits so I can’t complain. I used to be really lazy and could only keep a job for about a month, so I am really happy to be where I am now, where I have more ambition than ever. I will probably keep my day job until I feel comfortable that I can sustain myself as a full-time DJ.

Do you have any personal advice for people struggling to find their passion, or trying to enter into a career that may not be defined as stable?

I think people should try new things, experiment, go find yourself, and when you find your passion you won’t have any doubts. I believe good things come to those who work hard, but are also patient. Timing is everything. You will know when it’s your time. 

Where have you performed, and where would we be able to see you DJ next?      

You can find me every Sunday at Becky’s Apartment, and once a month at District KW. In the summer, you can find me spinning in Grand Bend and Wasaga Beach. Be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook to find out where I am spinning!

Do you have any stories, memories or gigs during your career, that are close to your heart or have been milestones?

I had the opportunity to play Ever After Music Festival. I entered a mix in a contest for best female DJ and I ended up winning a slot at the festival. It was a great experience. I met a lot of cool people.    

Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years, in terms of your career goals?

My main focus right now is learning more turntable techniques, such as scratching. After that, I would like to learn how to play piano and produce my own songs.

Can you end this interview with a quote or motto that you live by?            

There is always a reason to smile. Find it.

Thank you so much Chelsea for letting us get to know a little bit about yourself and your career as a DJ. We will see you on January 28th at Becky’s!

4th Year Communication Studies Major, at Wilfrid Laurier University.
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.