Campus Cutie: Ashley Somchanh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Name: Ashley Somchanh     

Program: Communication Studies

Hometown: Newmarket      

Relationship Status: Single

What is the most fabulous thing in your closet?

My most fabulous thing that is in my closet I would have to say are my black closed toe stilettos! It is very rare to catch me not wearing heels out and the stiletto is a piece of my wardrobe, which defines me!  I feel empowered, confident, and beautiful when in them, they make me feel fabulous and I can always find an excuse to wear them!

What is the most embarrassing thing in your closet?

The most embarrassing thing in my closet would have to be my “ Santa Paws” hoodie.  A hoodie that has built in ears and mittens on the hands to make someone look like a bear. I got it as a Christmas from my mom , she thought it would look cute to wear on campus and comfy to wear in class..  Although I can safely say I have not stepped foot with it on outside of my house I would be lying if I said I never wore it!

Would you rather spend the next five years at your current job without Laurier or start your undergrad over again?

If I could press repeat over and over again I would! These past four years at Laurier have been the best years of my entire life. I have not only made the best of friends, and the best memories but I have grown as a woman in general. I have gotten over fears such as public speaking and writing test, as well as smiled and laughed more then I ever thought I could!  I would not do anything differently but if the option was to repeat then I would press it unlimitedly!

As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

As a kid I always wanted to be a news reporter. I have always had an obsession with CP24 and growing up I always pictured myself up close and being the center of attention letting the world know what is going on with world.  This dream has changed for me however I am still obsessed with the news!

It’s Friday night, where will you be?

Friday nights are my favourite nights.  Working fulltime throughout university I always struggled with finding a good night for social time with my roommates and best friends. On Friday nights you will always see out with my girlfriends, whether it be out for dinner or out for a drink somewhere. You will catch me taking shameless selfies and making memories with my friends!

Do you have any pet peeves?

I have a few pet peeves however they are things that I can ignore. My first pet peeve that drives me insane is when people play with their cutlery at the dinner table before dinner has been served.  Whether it be at a restaurant or in a home, nothing drives me more crazy then someone playing with their fork or knife!

Secondly mis-matching socks. This drives me insane! This is probably an issue for more then 90% of the world! But for some reason it drives me up the wall. I know the dryer and washer usually eat half our socks but that is why I think people who lose their socks should just buy all the same colour socks!

Who would you most like to meet – real or fictional?

Matthew Gray Gubler – aka Spencer Reid from Criminal Minds.  I could explain my obsession for this character but I can assure you that I would bore you. All I can say is that I find his character extremely intriguing and sexy. I have been obsessed with him right from the get-go and I am convinced that his fictional character is real…

Do you have any secret talents?

I would consider my secret talent to be a handyman (WOMAN) / IT Geek. I am a person who can build anything and everything by myself, as well as figure out how to take something apart and fix it. If someone needed me to re –do their floors in their home I can assure you I would be able to do so. As for IT – I have a secret past time and that is teaching myself different ways to fix a computer/ get rid of viruses as well as creating my own HTML codes and making websites. I have always been extremely interested in IT! People usually laugh and do not believe me when I tell them that I can fix their computer and then are in awe when I can !

What physical trait do you most admire in a man or woman?

I admire a persons mouth / teeth/ smile. I love big mouths because it always results in big smiles.

Who is your role model and what is the best advice that person has given you?

My role model is a very common answer. My mom. My mom is the most amazing strong individual I have ever met. She has battled cancer for the last 5 years, and Is a single mom and she still is alive strong and making sure that I always brush my teeth before bed.  My brother and I have never got much growing up however the best advice that my mom has told me is “ Life is what YOU make it “.  This statement is extremely true, life is what you make it, if you want something then go get it.  I will carry this advice along with me for my whole life.

What would be the top two things on your bucket list?

This one is a hard one because there are endless things that I want to do!  However first and foremost I would love to travel to Laos. As I am half asain and Lao’s is where my real dad is from I would love to see the culture, travel and get to see a little bit of where I am from. And Secondly,  I want to be married and have a family, most people don’t usually put this on their bucket list however this is something that I have always wanted and would be extremely disappointed if this did not work out for me!

Want to see more of Ashley? Check out her Instagram @ashleysomch! 

Andreia McLean

Wilfrid Laurier