This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Although you may see on your feed that there’s not much talk about the black lives matter movement anymore, this doesn’t mean that it’s gone. It’s still very much here and the movement still needs support.

As you continue to see injustice after injustice, I hope you feel uncomfortable. I hope you go on social media and feel a sense of “I need to do something” …. because you do.

The movement needs allies more than ever, and this is where you come in. You can help in many ways, some may cost you some time and energy on social media, some may cost you some friends, but any bit of help…helps. So, here’s some things that you can do to help.

Sign sign sign!

Sign petitions!!! There are so many threads on twitter that have petitions for you to sign. Make sure you also share the petitions yourself! This helps get the messages out there for more people to see. This takes a grand total of one minute for each petition, so please spare a minute or two to help.

Here’s a link to a twitter thread that has many petitions (this twitter user got creative in how to entice others to sign).

Donate

There are so many organizations that need donations! If you have the financial means please donate! But if you don’t, a simple share on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram can help! It gives the organizations more notice and it takes little to no time at all. Donating doesn’t just mean money. Donating your time and efforts to help the cause is still just as valuable!

Here is a link to organizations where you can support:

American

Canadian

Talk about it

Don’t be afraid to talk about it. If you hear someone saying something racist or discriminatory, CALL THEM OUT! I struggle with this myself, but I’ve been forcing myself to call individuals out on their actions and words. Challenge them, ask them why they believe the things they do. Maybe they can realize they aren’t thinking fairly, and you can help change their mind! Also share experiences you’ve had, events you’ve witnessed where a racial injustice was created. Telling stories helps people to see what the problem actually is (you know, if it’s that hard to notice in the first place). Also, don’t forget to talk to yourself. You can’t help the movement unless you change your inner thoughts and beliefs.

Educate Yourself

In addition to the last point, you can’t completely help the movement unless you, yourself is educated. There are many resources for you to use as educational tools, like books, movies or podcasts. To be a good ally you need to be educated of what goes on in the world past the privileged world we may live in. We need to understand what happens to black people and people of colour. In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.

Here is a list of resources to read, watch or listen to, to help you educate yourself.

Listen

This is by far the most important. If anybody feels comfortable enough to tell you a story of an injustice that has happened to them, you need to listen. Don’t try to solve the problem for them (unless they ask), don’t speak for them, and definitely don’t try to diminish their problem. Even if you don’t think it’s a huge deal, it clearly is to them and you need to understand that. Listen to their stories and provide a shoulder for them to lean on. We, as allies, need to be there for support. And this is a really important aspect of our support.

There are so many other ways you can help and be an ally, but here are just a few. If you have any more suggestions, please feel free to message! Remember, the movement isn’t ending anytime soon, so keep the momentum going! If you need a break, just remember that black people and people of colour don’t get a break from the discrimination and racism. They face it every day. So put your adult pants on and get over it. You and your privilege are needed now more than ever.

black lives matter protesters with signs
Photo by Clay Banks from Unsplash

Search up #blacklivesmatter on Instagram and Twitter every day to continuously find organizations and petitions to support.

Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!