This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Starting at university is a daunting, exciting and mind-stretching adventure. Different schedules, new friends and unexplored possibilities surround you. All of these opportunities are wonderful tools for growth, but they are not without their challenges, especially when combined with work and other extracurricular activities. Below are a few ideas to bear in mind as you navigate the complex and beautiful balancing act that is university life.

Scheduling

If you are juggling work, school clubs and other extracurricular activities in addition to your course load, it is paramount that you have a clear picture of how your time is allotted between all these commitments. Keeping a detailed calendar that combines everything in one place will enable you to see at a glance where you need to be at any given point and to prevent scheduling conflicts. Knowing in advance where you need to be will also enable you to concentrate on living and learning in the moment, instead of worrying that you are forgetting something or stressing about overextending yourself.

Prioritize

In university, as in life, knowing your priorities is vital. As a student, you are paying a significant amount on the education you are receiving at university, so excelling in your courses should probably be among your top priorities. However, extracurricular activities are important too. Clubs are excellent ways to expand your experience in areas of interest and to network with fellow students. As well, a job provides a source of income and a chance to develop your professional skills. Both are invaluable to personal growth and should not be neglected. Neither should you sacrifice time with family and friends, as these are your greatest supporters. Each student has different goals, circumstances and experiences, likewise with priorities. Focus on doing what is important and useful to you and your future.

Photo by Andrew Neel on Unsplash

Take Care of Yourself

Between classes and extracurricular activities, you may find yourself with little time for anything else. If this is the case, be sure to schedule in little moments to recharge, relax and re-energize. Invest in yourself, whether it be relaxing with a book or an episode of Netflix, a drink with friends, or preparing and enjoying healthy food. Don’t wait until you burn-out to care for yourself. Frantically rushing from class to club to work and repeat will only be detrimental to your mental and physical health; looking after your mind and body will benefit every aspect of your life.

University, while exhilarating and liberating in almost every way, with the independence it affords and the diverse array of opportunities it provides, can also be incredibly stressful and demanding. By scheduling your commitments and classes, focussing your energy on your top priorities while weeding out the parts that do more harm than good, and investing in your health, well-being, and social networks, you will create the perfect balance to make your time at university a happy and productive experience.

Jolene Neal

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Jolene Neal is a 1st year core sciences student at Wilfrid Laurier University. When she's not studying or working, you'll find her baking, biking, or doing calligraphy.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her