This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

One of my favourite recurring memories from when I was young is looking out of my window during a car ride, on bus trip or just while at home and getting lost in thought. Imagination is often associated with childhood and youth, but I think it’s a mistake to encourage children to ‘grow up’ or ‘snap back to reality.. because what is childhood if not wonder? And where would we be without those who imagined the impossible and then made it reality?  

I adore fantasy: a genre founded on wonder. Ever since I was young, I’ve used my imagination in worlds populated with my characters. Little did I know how much this would tie into my passion for becoming a writer.  

Wondering, dreaming, and pursuing your thoughts can demonstrate your passion, so instead of scrolling through your phone or mindlessly watching something, it’s okay to take time to daydream. Another thing to remember is that it’s never too late to pursue something you often imagine yourself doing. The idea that you’re supposed to know what you want to do for the rest of your life is hugely misleading. Iin reality, you have the power to try anything you’d like, so take the time to envision your dreams and don’t be afraid to change your plans or goals! 

Setting goals, planning your future and even academic work requires imagination and innovation. Every great idea and invention begins with an imagined thought. In order to reach your goals, you need to envision them. To plan your future, you need to visualize where you want to be, and when it comes to writing a paper or the beginning of a research project, a lot of imagination is involved. Think of the wonder and curiosity you had when you were younger and apply it to your life today; I’m sure you’ll be surprised with the outcome.  

One of the biggest mistakes of the western work culture is its lack of imagination and how it beats the wonder out of people with the constant drive to work. Imagination is the most powerful tool, so take the time to wonder, dream and put your ideas into your work. Humans are set apart from other creatures because we can not only think, but we can also control and comprehend what we’ are thinking. We should be using this ability to imagine and take the time to build on the thoughts that pop into our heads and truly wonder. Everyone’s imagination is different, so I urge you to give yours a try and see what happens. The world would be pretty bleak without those who dared to imagine change.  

Abigail Oshell

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Author in the making, film enthusiast & English major📚🎥🪴🐸